Pen clips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

Looking for advice. In my limited time making and giving pens I have found most females do not want clips on the pens. I have been told the clip gets in the way inside a ladies purse, while men like the clip to put it in their shirt pocket. Any comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Honestly I have never heard this. I have sold to both men and women. We are basically born with the idea that a pen has a clip. No matter how inexpensive or expensive. yes we make pens without but they are usually those special pens. There are purse pen kits out there so maybe it would be wise to have a few of those made when you go showing off your pens to give the ladies something else to look at. You can usually make many of the kits without the clip too so you can offer that as a compromise. Good luck.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Many people use roller Stops for just that reason. Sometimes its a simple button shape about 3mm (1/8) diameter. Sometimes its a favorite animal charm. Anything small enough to glue on or if it has a peg on the back even better. I have known at least one person to use earings cutting the stud short, drilling a hole for it and glueing it on.

SteveG

I display/sell mostly "kit" pens. I offer a select group of pens that have no clip, but instead have a sterling silver 'roll stop'. The intended buyer is the group called "Female". These take significantly more time (time=money) to mount the roll stop, as I usually machine out the finished pen upper barrel a bit to accept the sterling 3-D image. The response is that I get a level of interest, but sales are modest at best compared to typical pens. Still, it is a variation of concept, and does result in sales. The sterling images are typically ebay sourced 'charms', pendants, earrings, and are often in the price range of $7 +/- each.

flyitfast

My wife won't take one of my pens if it has a clip - I'm sneaky and put a clip on one that she might want if I have another purpose for it. :biggrin:
She has same reason - gets in the way in her purse.
Gordon

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have heard this before from LOML and a couple of times when she was showing a pen of hers to a group of ladies. They agreed.

. . . But being a husband, I didn't listen!

Good idea. Might not sell many - but when it pleases the boss, sales might increase for the others. It just might create a "favorable" impression that leads to other sales.

tomtedesco

My wife won't take one of my pens if it has a clip - I'm sneaky and put a clip on one that she might want if I have another purpose for it. :biggrin:
Gordon

Hope she doesn't read this site, you could be in BIG trouble.:eek:

Mr Vic

Gordon

Hope she doesn't read this site, you could be in BIG trouble.:eek:

Have you PM'd Skip to see if he can make a couple of clips for the Twin Towers?

Top Bottom