Pen Catalog

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

I am wondering (NILS) when CSUSA might do a sales brochure similar to PSI's. PSI's new 12 page brochure is very nice, but personally I like to use CSUSA'S kits a whole heck of a lot more! I know this is the penturning forum so if anyone is wondering why I put this in here instead of the casual conversation forum, its because to me the pens are what these catalogs are all about and its the pens I want to see a catalog on. When people can see all the different kits that you don't have, I think this sales aid will really pay off, for us and the supplier. Any info, thanks.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

I bought some of the PSI catalogs. After looking at them, I decided not to use them. Hard to explain, but the fact that there are pics of pens in a generic printed catalog goes against the grain of "handcrafted."

jenamison

I don't agree, the fact that there are generic printed pages is to show the customer there are different kinds of pen kits out there. The handcrafted part comes in when you the craftsman hand-makes the pen out of the wood the customer wants and fashions that pen into a one of a kind work of art. These catalogs are just like any other catalog, it shows what is available that you may not be displaying or since there are so many kits, CANT afford to display. The PSI catalog is very nice.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, that is a good concept IF you are doing primarily one-off custom orders.
However, I would venture to say that the majority of us are selling the inventory that we produce and do not do as much one-off work... Also there are kits I would not want to build.
I would rather the customer see the kits I handle on a regular basis, instead of a listing of all the kits available from my supplier. Also I would rather the customer see the work that I PRODUCED as opposed to a picture of a pen made by someone else.
Look at another difficulty.. it a customer picks a kit that you have never done... you now have to order the kit AND the bushings and you still are not sure if you are going to have a problem because you have never made the kit before...
You here a lot about problems with certain kits (i.e. Flat Top Americans).. do you want to order that kit and bushings to make one pen and maybe find out you have a problem getting it to work.. NOT ME..
I will show the customer the styles I am comfortable making (and maybe modifying) and only as examples of my PERSONAL work, not work done by someone else.

nilsatcraft

Funny you should metion it, Mike. Just yesterday this was brought up in a meeting and we are looking into it right now. There are many issues that come into play so we're investigating the possibility of doing a small print catalog/brochure right now so that our customers can show their customers other pen possibilities. I'd really like to be able to offer an online version where you, as our customer, can customize what the catalog says, what products are in it, and even put in your prices- then print it all right off the internet. This would be a very time consuming project, however, so it is being tossed around right now. I'll definitely let everyone know as soon as we make a decision but yes- we are looking into the ups and dowsn of both printed and customizable online catalogs and brochures for our customers to have.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Never said that we don't need catalogs... but it is so easy to do your own today with all the available software that is out there....
I would probably use Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker.... but there are other packages out there that could also do it... You could also do it in Microsoft Word....

Ligget

I have never got any ink left in the printer after the kids are finished playing on my puter. LOL

I would need to buy a printed catalogue too!![:(][^]

jenamison

Taking the time to take all the pictures and then using up all the expensive ink in the printer plus the cost of binding, yeah you can do your own and if you just have money to burn that would be the thing to do, but if you don't have the cash, these catalogs from PSI and soon to come CSUSA is a very nice thing to have and hand out to your customers. You can also tell your customers which pens you "do not" recommend so they know you don't make them, but the majority of pens in one or both of those catalogs we probably do make. So for my money the ones printed by these companies are the way to go.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mike, there are over 45 different pen kits listed on the CSU site... I keep maybe 10 different styles of pens in stock... of those only 4 are CSU kits and none are PSI... this also does not include perfume applicators, keychains, etc. How do I show my customers those kits in the catalog you are talking about.
I doubt that I would add anywhere near 40 additional styles of pens to my inventory or offer them for custom work (unless the customer was willing to pay a real premium price). So you can see where I am going in my thinking about the catalog system that PSI has and CSU is proposing.
Even telling a customer that you don't recommend a certain style may not stop them... when something catches the customer's eye, that is what they are going to want...
Also look into the cost per catalog vs. the return per catalog... Do you really think the average customer that picks up the catalog at your craft booth is going to rush home, show their significant other and immediately call you for an order... the return rate on catalog sales is LOW... More than likely the catalog will sit around the house until it gets tossed.. happens all over the place..
I doubt that our customers will be any different....
Taking the time to take all the pictures and then using up all the expensive ink in the printer plus the cost of binding
You only need to take the pictures once... if you also have a website, you use the same ones.. and once 'your' catalog is electronically created, any of the better office supply stores can do them for you cheaper than you can print and bind them personally..

jenamison

Well with the amount of pens you carry, your way will probably be beneficial. I try and keep a very wide assortment and I do use PSI also. And I was just being nice about telling the customer you don't recommend something...you can just outright tell them what you do and don't make period! Also I sell pens starting at $25 for slimlines and some of my Stateman's are well over $100 so I don't think $.50 for a 12 page full color professional looking catalog will hurt my budget! So at $10 for 20 catalogs, if one customer buys a pen from me after taking 1 catalog, I've paid for my pen kit, "ALL" my catalogs and still have a little left over off that one sell to go into my pocket. So Tom the bottom line is, you don't want the catalogs and I do. You have your reasons and so do I. So with that said, have a good one!

Mike

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Look out! the sky is falling again.
I am with Griz on this one.
I have "stock" pens to show a prospective customer/retailer.
I also make sure I have pictures of some that I feel are different but have not made similar ones yet.
In showing a preprinted catolog I am basically showing them something that someone else has made.
I pride myself on my unique blanks and materials.
There are a lot of kits I won't make because of what Griz has already said, the Flat top from teh "B" company is one.
The preprinted catolog shows the customer the Companys wood/acrylics & kits. That is why they are provided so inexpensively.
I am not out to advertise for any one company I am out to promote me and MY work.
If the catolog is what you are after good luck. I find it hard to sell the concept of a of a one of a kind pen stamped out of a cookie cutter book.

jenamison

I guess you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about then. There is no dang advertising for anybody!!! There is no names on these dang catalogs except if you put your own name on them. Nobody has a clue as to who made those pens in that brochure!!! For all the customer knows you made the stupid pens. I pride myself on very unique pens and unique woods as well. I also pride myself on knowing what the heck I'm talking about! It still amazes me how much people on this site know and how much people think they know.

Daniel

When I first started turning pens, and doing craft shows. I actually cut up six catalogues from the suppliers trying to make my own for display. talk about a lot of work. I would love to see the online customized version as well as the printed version. printing from my printer is expensive. but I could print one and then take it to a local printer to make more at a lower cost.
My actual experience with using such a catalogue was more complicated than what is being suggested here. I had my stock that would get someone interested. But usually the conversation would get into just what they had in mind as a pen. seldom being what I had already made. that is where the catalogue excelled. Warning though, selling an unmade pen can grow you ulcers quickly. and for someone like Eagle that tries to go beyond the "Kit" with the majority of pens. the Cat. would not even start to work. maybe a sketch pad at your display :)

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Never said that we don't need catalogs... but it is so easy to do your own today with all the available software that is out there....
I would probably use Microsoft Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker.... but there are other packages out there that could also do it... You could also do it in Microsoft Word....

This is a good point. I have a website, that shows many of the pens that I currently have in my sale inventory, as well as some previous pens that have sold for comparison of materials, kits, etc. I have tons of color photos (Digital) that I print from time to time at my disposal that showcase my pens that I have sold. It works out great when you have made a pen in a certain wood that a customer is looking at. You can show them your photo. For me, it seems to seal a few more deals that might have been lost to uncertainty.

As far as kits available, I don't like my customers to choose that way. I dislike many kits available, either for build reasons, or shape, size, etc. I choose not to make them.

Just my opinion.

James

Fangar

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />I guess you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about then. There is no dang advertising for anybody!!! There is no names on these dang catalogs except if you put your own name on them. <b> Nobody has a clue as to who made those pens in that brochure!!! For all the customer knows you made the stupid pens. I pride myself on very unique pens and unique woods as well. I also pride myself on knowing what the heck I'm talking about!</b> It still amazes me how much people on this site know and how much people think they know.

I see your point Mike about your desire for a nice brochure.

If you pride yourself in unique pens, I would think you would like to try a unique catologue showcasing your talents. If you are selling pens of that price tag (That you mentioned) as many of us are, I would think that you would want to further showcase your creations by photographing and marketing them.

I pride myself in knowing everything. [;)]

Cheers,

Fangar

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I gusee your remarks are aimed at me.
Yes I ordered the dsample catologues and noted that I could put my name on them.
I don't use components from any one supplier.
I don't normally use precut blanks.Even if I make a non glued up pen,I usually cut the blanks to show off the grain rther than a conventional staright cut.
There is no way a pre-printed catologue could show anything like what I do.
After viewing your album, i don't see why you would want a preprinted catologue either but that is your choice.
Your laser engraveing looks fantastic and that would not appear in a preprinted catologue.
Sorry to be misundestood.

jenamison

Fanger, money is still an issue with me and catalogs. I like what they have for now and will use them because of that. Later when I am able to I would like to make my own catalog and showcase my stuff.

jenamison

cteaglesc I really appreciate your comments about my pens and engraving, that is very nice of you! I wish I was to a point in my business to do like you discussed, and will keep those ideas in mind until I can. With this being said, here's an olive branch to continued success to both of us as penturning brothers. Take care.

Mike

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
No Olive branch necessary, but I'll take it.
Is it big enough to make a pen out of it?
If not are there at least olives on it?[:p](I like olives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom