Pen Cabinet(WIP)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

With the lack of any pen component sets to work with I have had to find something to occupy my time. Having never built a box, I thought I would try my hand at it. Here is the first try at it and then I thought I could build my own pen storage cabinet. It is a work in progress. It is all from scrap wood I picked up from a cabinet shop scrap bin. I decided I would use left over pieces of Majestic kits for my knobs as I had a few from doing closed end pens. Comments and Critiques are welcome(actually needed) as I am working on these with no instructions just fumbling my way through them.
liddedbox1.jpg

liddedbox.jpg

pencabinet.jpg

pencabinet11.jpg

pencabinet1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Personally I like to line my pen trays with a self adhesive 'felt' roll that is
sold by McMaster-Carr. Comes in colours such as green, brown and white. Very nice pen storage cabinet that you have there.

jmbaker79

Self adhesive felt sounds like exactly what I am looking for. What does everyone use for spacers underneath the felt?

Last little box I made, I used dowels. Maybe 3/8" in diameter, cut to fit snugly front to back, glued in place, spaced evenly to accommodate whatever size pens. And of course covered in felt. Works great but I'm sure there is a better way!

wood-of-1kind

Self adhesive felt sounds like exactly what I am looking for. What does everyone use for spacers underneath the felt?

I like to use a router and rout the 'grooves' using inexpensive 1/2" thick MDF. This way I can make the routed slots any dimension that is necessary to match the drawer cabinets. The self adhesive felt is used to overlay over the MDF and give protection to your pens. There is a assortment of router bits to choose from, but my personal favouriite is a 7/8" bullnose bit.

plantman

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Phil: Nice pens and box! When I make custom pen boxes, I will measure the inside of my box or drawer and cut a piece of 5/8th or 3/4 inch wood or birch covered mdf stock to fit inside. I then take this piece to one of my table mounted routers with a 1/2 inch carbide tipped core box bit protruding 1/2 inch above the table. Allow 3/16th to a 1/4 inch on each side and divide the remaining space into the number of pens that will fit, allowing 1/4 inch between pens. Using scrap lumber to start, mark the center of your first cut 1/2 inch in from the edge of your wood. Line the mark up to the center of the core box bit and set your fence to this distance. Hold your board tight to the fence and run your piece over the bit several times to make a clean cut. Now turn the board 180 and do the same. If you are doing an odd number of pens (5) Mark off you board at the center and route this line. Next measure the distance between cuts and mark off the center, reset your fence, cut this mark. Turn your board 180 and repete. If all your marks were correct you should have 5 evenly spaced grooves for your pens. If you want an even number of pens (4-6) you will have to do a little more math and trial and err until it looks pleasing. Once you have the correct spaceing, keep this scrap piece as your template for setting up your fence and router bit next time!! I will use exotic woods for these trays or scrap woods covered with felt or contact paper. Or, you can purchase a flocking kit from craft stores and do your sides in a contrasting color. I am working on several new boxes now and will post photos or information on how to make pen boxes. Jim S

Last edited:

D.Oliver

I think dark was the way to go on that. Less likey to distract from the pens its meant to display. Whats the like spot in the upper left hand corner? Are you going for a distressed look?

firewhatfire

I had to repair a spot. Knocked it out with the router. 1st time trying one of those also. I hope it doesn't stand out to much when finished but from the pic it may very well.:eek:

I think dark was the way to go on that. Less likey to distract from the pens its meant to display. Whats the like spot in the upper left hand corner? Are you going for a distressed look?

Top Bottom