Pen and Stopper From One Pine Cone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Les Elm gave me the inspiration to do this .
Unfortunately all the cones I have left are tapered in the core too much to get the nice pattern full length on the blank although the tapered ones do add a flame effect .

I tried one first with Minwax hardener then thin CA and decided on try turning that one between centers. I ruined that blank and tossed it in garbage .
So I tried another one with only thin CA for stabilizing because I had previously only soaked one in the hardener to try it . I used my trusty mandrel for this one same as I have used for hundreds of other pens. (same original mandrel). That made it much easier for me.

Also tried CA only finish on this one instead of BLO/CA like I usually use. . Six coats coats and saw no difference from the way I usually do it. Only some extra sanding on CA only way .
No matter what I do I can not get the high gloss shine on wood that Les does (except on acrylics which are easy for anyone)
I think Les has some secrets . . LOL

Conepenandstopper.jpg

conepen2Small.jpg

Conepen1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert A.

Man both are great!But I love the pen.I've got some large cone's
i'm holding on too do turn.Just gotta get me some thin ca.

jskeen

I think that part of your finish problem is that you don't have a truly smooth level surface on your wood before you start applying your finish coats. I would recommend turning yourself some oak, ash or other open grained practice dowels. Dry sand them to about 320 grit, and then try applying some med CA with the 320 grit sandpaper and sand it in until you feel the CA start to set up. do that a couple of times till all the pores are filled in with the slurry of ca and sanding dust. Then sand smooth again with 400 grit. Wipe or blow clean and build up ca or blo/ca finish as desired. Finish sand, MM or buff as desired, and see if you don't get a nice mirror shine and a thin bright reflection line off of the nearest light. Then let us know how it worked out for you.

louie68

very nice job pen looks great, how big was the pine cone? before you started making the pen?

Top Bottom