Pen 31 - twin!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Made a twin. :)

This one is made from some smooooth turning PR.
I figured out something tonight that I should have done a month ago. I turn all the pieces with the 4 jaw chuck, and wait to finish them on the collet chuck till all three pieces are made up so I don't have to change the chucks back and forth between operations. Should I call them operations? I guess so.
:p

Saved about 45 minutes to an hour by not changing the chucks back and forth. So this only took a good 2 1/2 hours to make up.

twins31%20%282%29.JPG

twins31%20%283%29.JPG

twins31%20%284%29.JPG

twins31%20%285%29.JPG

twins31%20%286%29.JPG

twins31%20%287%29.JPG

twins31.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

Wow, you're really turning them out. These look great!

What do you do with all these pens? Are you selling them?

Aaaand, I thought PR wasn't suited for kitless. You seem to have done just fine. :) I'm gathering tools and whatnot to start kitless myself. Does this mean I can use my PR blanks I'm pouring?

Last edited:

watch_art

Thanks! I sell some - give the twins to my students.

Some PR is better than others. I don't know what everybody does differently, but there are huge differences. This red and white stuff turned like butter. Some I've had (a yellow blank) was VERY brittle and chippy. I turned it down close to size and rough sanded it into shape to get rid of all the pitting. I'm just using one of those wood chuck tools until I learn how to sharpen my blasted lathe tools.

watch_art

Thanks!

I don't make any PR. I get them from Slabs Blanks and Boards, and a fellow in Little Rock, and some of them have come from various sources here on IAP.

Top Bottom