Pelikans with new plumage.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

These are Pelikan Fountain pens (a modern M800 and a vintage 400NN) from which I removed the existing outside covering (called a binde) and on which I stalled a new covering. The M800 got an acrylic binde. The 400NN got an acrylester binde. The Acrylester was VERY difficult to do as the material doesn't suffer fools easily! The least little mistake, when it got thin, and the material would break. I went through severla blanks to get it done. The black ring at the base is decorative but also fixed a mistake when I had chipped my very last piece of this color material.

Comments/Critiques welcome.

DSCN0596-1.jpg

DSCN0601a.jpg

DSCN0603a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Julia!

I really like these bindes! That is very cool! I don't know enough about Pelikan pens to know which ones will accept bindes. I have one Pelikan, a new m605, and I looked pretty closely and didn't see where I could do anything like a binde on it. I'd love to give it a shot, which models accept a binde? Maybe you could consider doing a short tutorial on how to do a binde? I think it would be a lot of fun!

Thanks!

Scott.

jtate

Scott,

Does your pen have green stripes running lengthwise? If so I'm pretty sure you can put a new binde on it.

I don't know how the filler is removed from the back end of the M605. If you can figure that out, I have no doubt that the binde can be replaced. The process, at least for Pelikans, is really simple. Remove the filling mechanism from the back of the pen, remove the old binde that's on the barrel - it's just a sleeve glued in place. I usually do this with a pocket knife since the pressure of the lathe is a little too intense for the vintage barrels I work with sometimes. Measure the outer diameter of the de-nuded barrel of the pen and drill a hole of that diameter through your new binde material. Shape the new binde material to be a thin sleeve. SLide it on the de-nuded barrel and glue it in place. do your final shaping and sanding with it in place.

That's it. I've come up with a few little things that make it easier for me to do but those work for me and might not for someone else.

The hardest part is removing the filling mechanism and each model pen is different in that area.

Julia

Scott

Thanks Julia!

My Pelikan is a solid blue one with a clear area just above the section.

I appreciate the insight. I think I'll try picking up a couple of old, non-working Pelikans to experiment with. It should be fun! Do the old bindes come off in one piece once you break the glue bond, or do you have to whittle it away in pieces? I have some neat resins that would be fun to try out on a Pelikan!

Scott.

jtate

The old bindes generally do come off fairly easily - but not in one piece. You won't be able to use it over again once you've removed a binde.

Good luck!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Julia,

I have NOT tried this, but it might work, depending on your finished dimension: Attach small pieces of acrylic to the end of your acrylester, from the start. Then, as you drill and turn, you have something that is less prone to "shattering" at the ends, which should give you a better chance of success. If the acrylic has a good bond (lots of CA that has been set for a couple days), I think your process will go more smoothly.

FWIW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom