Pegboard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ladycop322

Hello! I purchased a pegboard and the hooks to hold all my 'hole punched' component sets. Problem is, I can't drill or affix it to the cement wall on my porch and now it is bending due to the Florida heat! Did I mention I hate Florida? Ok, back to my conundrum.

I tried to just keep in packages in a big plastic box but having to go through all the bags to find THE bag for the pen I'm turning got old and frustrating.

How do you store your component sets? I have a very very small room so it will be tricky. My porch is like 5-6' x 12'.

I have a workbench, a lathe stand and a rubbermaid plastic shelf with doors. That's all I can fit! AAAGGGGHHHHHH

Please, any tips on how to store will be so appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Perhaps the "big plastic box" can be partitioned. I have used foam board for dividers like you find in a beer or wine box. If the box is deep you might get two layers.

TonyL

Michelle...when you say you can't affix to the cement wall, can you be more specific please?

Your HOA forbids it?
The cement wall won't hold a cement anchor?
You don't know how to drill into cement (I doubt that's the case).
You have other stuff already handing on the cement wall?

Let's say you could (even though you said you can't), you can get away with as little as 4 or 6 center small cement wall anchors...you them screw two 1x3 or 2x3s to serve as supports for your peg board. I don't know the type of peg board you bough, but I would think humidity would affect it.

I hope this help.

Jim Smith

What if you added a 1x4 frame around the pegboard to keep it from warping. That should keep it rigid enough for what you want to do with in. You could even build a small easel to hold it sort of like what artists use. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

TonyL

No hole in concrete storage

That's a good idea!

I can, but don't want to drill hole in my concrete. I had a friend build this for me and installed two eye bolts so I can hang it from my ceiling joists (see circled).

Attachments

• Storage.jpg
    Storage.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 324

Fay Prozora

There are drill bits that are specially made for drilling in concrete. I would think you could do that and then put in molly screw holes, ( those little plastic things that screws go in ) and then you should be able to use screws to fasten the peg board to the concrete wall. Or use an artist easle thing and that way it can be folded flat and stored in a closet or other small space. Good luck. Fay

glenspens

Go to your local home improvement shop get some loctite power grab and some 1x2s cut the 1x2s to sizethen glue to wall with power grab stuff then glue pegboard w/same stuff to 1x2s let set 24 hs then hang all your stuff the heat will not effect the loctite. BUT if its HOA thing just make you a rolling cart with 2 sides /\ and put pegboard on it.......

ladycop322

Wonderful ideas! Thanks to all who responded. I think I'm going to try to just glue two wood strips one on top one of bottom (instead of a frame) and nail pegboard into that. I can't wait for my day off now :)

csr67

Being compresssed hardboard (basically cardboard), Peg board is not going to fair very well in a humid climate. You may want to try another version of pegboard. My local Home Depot sells some plastic Pegboard "tiles" that are 16"x16" and can be locked together. They are $5.69 per panel and they take the larger 1/4" hook or the small 1/8" hooks. They are pretty rigid and do not require a frame or backer for mounting.

Here's a link: Everbilt 16 in. x 16 in. Black Plastic Pegboard-17961 - The Home Depot

They also have some metal pegboard panels on the website.

Just an idea, I'll sure you'll figure out something that works well.

shastastan

looks like you've got quite a few suggestions for your pegboard.

For kit storage, I use plastic shoe boxes. You can get them at the dollar store, walmart, etc.. For example, I have a box for slim line pen kits. The kits for each pen style are in ziplocks. I keep the bushings in them also. I have other boxes for other styles such as european pens, cigar pens, etc.. I got some name tag stick on labels to put on the ends of the boxes.

Have you seen those metal shelving units at Costco. They are really strong and you can put a lot of stuff on them. The shelves are adjustable. They have helped me a lot with my limited space.

Cheers,

Brian G

I use plastic organizers.

IMG_20150418_084247.jpg

This size is perfect for me. When I receive a kit package, I take the components out of the larger package, examine each part for defects, and then repack the parts into smaller packages. Tubes go on the bottom, mini-bundles on top. I used to keep the inkfills with the components, but now I have a separate organizer for inkfills.

If you're careful, you can peel the labels off of the package and affix them to the organizer lid. Sometimes I have to print a label. I've recently started writing the number of sets on the label, and ticking them off as I use them. That way I know at a glance what I have instead of having to check my inventory spreadsheet.

I store the organizers in drawers.

Last edited:

Chromey

Yes same here I use plastic fishing tackle type boxes, that come with dividers you can customize for length/ width etc. Works for me very well, have smaller one for bushings.

Top Bottom