Pearl & Blue Shaving Brush

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

For me wetshaving is a hobby. I like to make my own brushes & bowls and wanted a short stubby style brush so I made this. I cast the blank in 1.5" pvc using Castin' Craft Pearl dye for the base (ok, I'm 99% sure but it might possibly have been an ivory mica, I cast several blanks in one day & lost track of what I used for each) then injected resin tinted with transparent blue with a needle and syringe. I set a 24mm Finest Badger knot from the now defunct Shave Revolution at a 50mm loft. Wetsanded up to 12K micromesh then Novus 3-2-1. I decided to add Novus 3 back into my routine since so many here use it and to be honest I think it helped a lot after the 12K pad. I then buffed it using the acrylic buffing system from PSI, which is a rather long way of saying blue rouge. This is hands down my favorite brush I've made. I have a habit of naming my favorite brushes, so I call this one Oddjob, after the short stocky character in Goldfinger. C/C are always welcome. If anybody is interested in making their own, PM me and I'll tell you how I turn them.

Jay

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Really nice looking brush! I too enjoy the wetshaving hobby. I have yet to turn my own DE and shave brush but it's on my eventual To Do List. Not sure how to turn a brush. Any pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Thank you! The quick version:

Chuck & drill the brush hole to the required depth. I turned this on an adjustable pen mandrel. After the brush hole was drilled I drilled another then tapped it for the mandrel threads. Sometimes I use a Beall IX collet in a collet chuck, but be careful with wood as it can split it. If using a collet finish the top of the brush since the collet covers the rim. I always use the tailstock & don't remove it until all but the bottom of the brush is completely finished, especially on a mandrel because it will vibrate even with it adjusted really short. Turn a slight concave bottom so it sits well, polishing is just like an acrylic/CA pen blank. This was a round blank from a pvc mold, if you use a square one round it out before drilling any holes. I've had them jump off the collet and I'm certain it could strip on a mandrel. Feel free to ask any questions if you decide to make one.

Jay

Top Bottom