Pear HF

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Neighbor took down an Ornamental Pear Tree that I thought was Bradford Pear. Turned a hollow form from it green to final thickness. Three weeks later, dry, sanded and finished. The freckles do not look like any Bradford Pear that I've ever seen. Around 9" (23cm) tall, finished with Bush Oil and Wipe on Poly

Attachments

• Pear HF 01.jpg
    Pear HF 01.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NYWoodturner

Eric - Excellent Job ! The turning on its own is great - but to get a final finish like that with wipe on poly is not as easy as it sounds!

robutacion

The "freckles" may be the wood drying, as I have some Pear wood that done the same to me. It will take a long time before it all becomes brown as the spots but it time, it will get there...!

However, and being only too familiar with temperamental woods, woods with a mind of its own and totally unpredictable woods, with everything in between, I should also say that, I may be wrong and the wood species has those natural brown spots as part of its characteristics so, I'm afraid, you may have to wait a few long months before you will know if I was right or wrong...!

Good luck,

PS: Great shape and finish, tough...!

Cheers
George

SDB777

What is the "opening" size on this piece? And how many coats of each finish did you use? This turning is off the scope for super shiny!!!!

Scott (freckles give it character) B

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone

Scott - The opening is ~1 1/8" (29mm). The finish is two coats of Bush Oil which darkened the freckles, allowed to cure for a few days, then around 6 coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly applied with a paper towel. Not buffed.

Top Bottom