Pear Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobleibo

OK, this is going to sound ridiculous to most, but I have never seen that contraption (I know there is a technical term) that you used to mount the bowl to the lathe to finish the back. It is absolutely ingenious! I must have been living in a cave or something. If you don't mind I am going to steal your idea and make myself one immediately because it sure beats the heck out of what I use now.
By the way, I love the bowl, especially how you left the inclusion in it. Adds character. Well done!~

Marc

I will add my admiration to that foot chuck you used. I made that term up. I have used Cole jaws, jam chucks and vacuum chucks - all with success, but yours in ingenious and looks to hold firmly but with enough cushioning to protect the sides of the bowl and the edge.

Good job on the bowl and a nice result.

OZturner

Love the Bowl, that crack and the inclusion look great.
BTW I am glad it was you, holding the abrasive, while it was spinning, I could help wincing in anticipation of the pain that the crack would impart to the hand.
Top One!

robutacion

This is a small hunk of pear crotch with a large crack and exposed bark. The green wood was rough turned in July, it has dried enough for a final turning.

Totally size was about 7" or so. Finished with shellac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgW85wSCxTI

Hi Peter,

Thanks for making the video...!

Yes, I agree, I've seen lots of system to finish the bowls base/feet but I don't recall to have seen that one before (I may be wrong, as I forget things quite fast...:mad:), it seems to work great and a lot steadier/safe than most other jigs, I don't know if you are the inventor or not but I'm sure, you can clarify that to us, huh...???:wink:

There is one aspect/detail that I would like to bring members attention to, if you are going to "copy" this jig design and that is, I see that Peter has done his out of plywood, and while it is a great material to do jigs with, there is one problem that you should be aware of and void and that is, when you are cutting the groove on the back of the jig to attach to the lathe chuck, void using the "contraction" method and use the "expansion" method instead, why...??? because in the contraction mode (the jaws close into the spigot/protrusion of the plywood, to grab the jig...!) regardless if you use a 50mm or 75mm jaws, the jig can "snap off" at the jig end, this is due to the contraction and torsion forces if you have a catch, its the way plywood is constructed that allow this to happen while, if you use the "expansion" mode/method, the plywood is a lot stronger and will be a lot safer, I know this because I done lots of jigs using plywood and the contraction mode to attach to the chuck, has failed in almost all of then, it may not happen straight away, as a lot will depend of the jig size, the size and weight of the pieces attached to it, lathe speed and how bad that catch is.

Another thing to remember is, the expansion mode require a certain amount of plywood be left on the jig's outer edge, too thin of an edge and the jaws will rip the plywood apart...!:)

Cheers
George

kludge77

Hey, Cindy. It's ranch... :)

It's just shellac. I like the color it gives the pear, I'll put a few coats of wipe on poly later for a nice shine.

Top Bottom