PC pendant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CaptG

CaptG

OK, we all knew it was coming. This is my first attempt at putting pc on a pendant. There is no backing plate, it is all pc. Kind of rubbery, I don't really like it, but it is a start and gives me ideas. The next will be on turned pendents and one sided. This is one pendent, showing both sides. It is sanded but no finish. This is how this one will end, put up in the shop for inspiration as I improve the next one. All comments and any ideas for improvement are always appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• pendant pc 005.jpg
    pendant pc 005.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 204
  • pendant pc 006.jpg
    pendant pc 006.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Looks great, I am pondering what if anything would be a good backing material. Would most wood be charred by the PC baking temps?

CaptG

What about a metal insert? Then cover the whole thing in pc?

I have thought about that, but I think it might be easier to turn a plastic pendant, nylon or something like that, and then cover it with the pc. It would be a lot easier than cutting the metal and drilling the hole.

Toni

GARY!! Its EXCELLENT!! The reason its rubbery/flexible IS because the base is thin. When you make a pendant the base should be thick. But you can place it on a filigree thingy if you want.

CaptG

GARY!! Its EXCELLENT!! The reason its rubbery/flexible IS because the base is thin. When you make a pendant the base should be thick. But you can place it on a filigree thingy if you want.

OK, I can picture the filigree part, its the thingy I can't quite picture. ???? :)

CaptG

Mud is not clear!! :question::question:

DUUUHHHH .............. OK, before I make you mad and you cut off my cane supply, does the filligree come in sheets, pre-cut designs, do I have to make it??? This is new to me Oh great Darth Toni, let the force be with me (and not from a stick).

Toni

:eek:I would NEVER cut off your CANE SUPPLY!!:eek: I might cut something else off:devil:

You probably could make them oh master of the Laser....Darth Toni has spoken!! Email sent with photos of the thingy's:biggrin:

Gary Max

Heck the rest of us are feeling left out Toni-----we all kinda wanted to see your thingy pic.

I am just glad I haven't fallen into the dark side----yet.

PenMan1

Nice pendant, Captain!

How about Corian as a backer piece? They make countertops out of it, so it has to be somewhat heat resistant. Just a thought?

ribanett

I made one using 1/8" alum. I covered it with liquid Sculpey to make sure the PC stuck to the entire surface. Sorry, it was a test piece so I didn't take pictures.

Gary, google pc pendants and you will get about a thousand tutorials. Wood wouldn't be good in the long run. The constant shrinking and expanding breaks the bond with the PC. I covered some wooden knobs for my daughters dresser and they lasted about 4 months. I used different glues, pretreatments, and everything else I could find. Aluminum would be good or as Toni said a thicker base will suffice.

Toni

Heck the rest of us are feeling left out Toni-----we all kinda wanted to see your thingy pic.

I am just glad I haven't fallen into the dark side----yet.

You will eventually in some form or another, everyone has a dark side:devil:

Is the "thingy" the same as a doo-dad
YES IT IS!!!

Gary all you need to do is make a thicker base thats it!! Go to the craft store buy liquid polymer clay in a bottle. Run a base sheet on a #1 on the pasta machine. Lay the finished piece on top cut it out, place the liquid sculpey on the un-baked piece place the baked piece on top and re-bake!! Problem solved:smile-big:

Top Bottom