Paying the price...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JP61

I could have, should have, but didn't do a darn thing about having heat in my garage. Guess I wasn't thinking ahead. Now that the cold weather is here, it looks like I won't be making anything in the shop until spring. This sucks! Am I alone in this or is there a PTWH (pen turners without heat) group I can join for support :) I like making pens but not to the point where now, in this weather, I'm going to start installing natural gas heat in my garage and I really don't want some mickey mouse temporary pita setup. Guess I'll have to make some sausage, bacon, beef jerky and things like that until spring. Meanwhile, keep reading and learning about this new pen making hobby of mine.

Dan Masshardt

I didn't do anything for heat either. :-(

But that won't stop me.

I have a propane unit that goes on the grill tank and it makes the immediate area quite bearable.

Next year - wood stove.

Justturnin

I was a member of the Local Houston Chapter of the PTWH for a few years but finally I had had enough of the summer heat and winter cold so about a month ago I insulated most of the shop and bought a $40 space heater. Takes the heater about an hour to make it comfortable in there then I am back in the shop working.

Deadhead

One more winter with the torpedo. I bought a NG Beacon Morris 45k BTU heater. Just didn't get a chance to run gas to the garage, have to wait until spring. The torpedo works real well; just f#@%ing loud.

Last edited:

JP61

I do have a propane torpedo heater that I haven't used for a long time. I'll have to fire it up and see if it still works and how it does within a non-insulated garage running in cycles. I really didn't like it because it makes too much noise, the fumes, having the door partially open so I don't die and depending on use, the frequent refill of the tank. I mainly got it for emergency car repair but that's not going to happen even if it needs to, no room for a car. I guess this is a good time to start saving and planning for heat and 220V for next year.

Dan Masshardt

JP61

Sissies !! :)
Run around the block, do twenty push-ups and put a jersey on, you'll be fine and save a fortune on heating bills.........:)

lol.... didn't you see what Ed wrote about the brittle resin in the cold???

Good idea with the jersey..... I'll put a Steelers jersey on, that'll make me so hot I'll have steam coming out my ears! :)

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Run around the block, do twenty push-ups and put a jersey on, you'll be fine and save a fortune on heating bills.........:)

Good idea with the jersey..... I'll put a Steelers jersey on, that'll make me so hot I'll have steam coming out my ears! :)

It's penturning, not rocket science....:)
Put the pen blank in your pocket while you sharpen your chisel and clean up, before you start. :)
Walking around the house with a pen blank in your pocket may impress the missus, and if you are lucky, you won't have to go back into the cold shed for a while!!!! :)

SteveG

Just to show you wimps how a REAL MAN deals with the "No heat" situation, just let me tell you. NO coat, NO jersey, NO whining, and NO limp excuses about messing up a blank 'cause (sniff, sniff) :crying:"I aint got no heat". I just get out there and DO IT. I am tired , every winter, of hearing all the complaining. Excuse me, I need to get back out to my unheated shop.:biggrin:

dbledsoe

I don't do cold. Don't want anything to do with it. I don't even want white sheets on the bed because it reminds me of snow. I may have to give up a lot, but I have heat in the shop. I found a used 3 ton heat pump with strip heaters, so I am comfy all year round. I paid $1000 for the entire setup including installation. That's my gloat.

JP61

Just to show you wimps how a REAL MAN deals with the "No heat" situation, just let me tell you. NO coat, NO jersey, NO whining, and NO limp excuses about messing up a blank 'cause (sniff, sniff) :crying:"I aint got no heat". I just get out there and DO IT. I am tired , every winter, of hearing all the complaining. Excuse me, I need to get back out to my unheated shop.:biggrin:

:tongue: Easy for you to say tough guy, living in paradise...

JP61

I don't do cold. Don't want anything to do with it. I don't even want white sheets on the bed because it reminds me of snow. I may have to give up a lot, but I have heat in the shop. I found a used 3 ton heat pump with strip heaters, so I am comfy all year round. I paid $1000 for the entire setup including installation. That's my gloat.

lol... I guess you really don't like the cold.

Heat pump would be nice because of the AC side of it, but unfortunately around here the heating season would cost a small fortune. I think my best bet for heating the garage would be insulation and a natural gas forced air heater. I'll have to do some research to see if indeed that is my best option.

JP61 - I grew up in Cleveland (West Sider) and IF you plan to turn in the garage in winter, you're going to need some heat. Lots of choices listed here. My 2 cents is to make sure you do it safe. No unvented stuff. Nasty fumes. And carbon monoxide poisoning isn't anything to fool around with. Since you actually have natural gas available (East Ohio Gas? - worked there in the 60's) I'd suggest loking into a heater named "Hot Dowg". Made by Modine. They make them from 30K btu to 125K btu. You shouldn't need much more than 30 or 45k. Pretty easy to set up and they're off the floor so you don't use up valuable garage floor space. Good luck (Go Browns - ugh)

JP61

Thanks for the info Ted! I haven't heard of that particular brand of heater, but, I will check them out.

(I've been a Browns fan for most of my life.... it's getting really old at a fast rate)

Edit: I'm pretty sure I just found my shop heater for next winter. Looks like the 45K BTU unit is what I need. Thank you again, Ted!

Last edited:

Ambidex

but you'll still look like a sissy..this from a browns fan that always thought Bernie could beat JL's butt in a barfight:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

Ambidex

next thread...how do you deal with sweatdrops falling on your woodworking projects???:tongue::tongue:

BKelley

I heat my shop with a 23,000 BTU Kerosene heater. With the price of kerosene exceeding the price of solid rocket fuel I may just have to shut down for the winter or at least slow down to 3 days a week.

Ben

JP61

but you'll still look like a sissy..this from a browns fan that always thought Bernie could beat JL's butt in a barfight:biggrin::biggrin::wink:

That will not happen as long as I'm alive :biggrin: I can't stand to even look at that jersey, let alone wear one.

Getting back on topic.... I wouldn't mind heating my shop with them :wink:

JP61

I heat my shop with a 23,000 BTU Kerosene heater. With the price of kerosene exceeding the price of solid rocket fuel I may just have to shut down for the winter or at least slow down to 3 days a week.

Ben

How much is kerosene these days? You get use to the smell after awhile? I know some of those heaters stink to high heaven... at least they use to.

edstreet

Propane tanks are fairly inexpensive, easy to fill as well. There is a heater you can put on top of them for about $50 or so. Heats quite good, fast and clean.

mr-heater-mh12t-single-tank-top-propane-heater_2628_500.jpg

I could have, should have, but didn't do a darn thing about having heat in my garage. Guess I wasn't thinking ahead. Now that the cold weather is here, it looks like I won't be making anything in the shop until spring. This sucks! Am I alone in this or is there a PTWH (pen turners without heat) group I can join for support :) I like making pens but not to the point where now, in this weather, I'm going to start installing natural gas heat in my garage and I really don't want some mickey mouse temporary pita setup. Guess I'll have to make some sausage, bacon, beef jerky and things like that until spring. Meanwhile, keep reading and learning about this new pen making hobby of mine.

Dan Masshardt

Propane tanks are fairly inexpensive, easy to fill as well. There is a heater you can put on top of them for about $50 or so. Heats quite good, fast and clean.

I have the double version of that. Keeps me decently comfortable if I'm right next to it.

Doesn't make much of a debt in the temp of the room though. But it has joists at 12 then another 4' plus to the roof. :-(

JP61

Thanks Ed!

Guess if want to stay active in the shop over the winter, I'll have to do something. I'll give my torpedo heater that thinks its a jet engine a try first and see how that goes. It's been many years since I've used it and don't remember exactly how well it heats or at least how long the shop will remain comfortable. If I have to leave to reheat the shop every 15-20 min. for a half hour or more, I may give your idea a try. Thanks again for your suggestion!

theidlemind

In Hawaii...........

theidlemind

I'm in the process of putting in an infrared heat system from these people.
50,000 btu and I'm building a website in exchange for the heater and installation. Really looking forward to heat since it's 22 outside right now.

JP61

Thank you!

I'm in the process of putting in an infrared heat system from these people.
50,000 btu and I'm building a website in exchange for the heater and installation. Really looking forward to heat since it's 22 outside right now.

Sounds like a good deal! Enjoy!

Thanks for the link! That type of heater is now another option, although as of now, I'm leaning towards forced air.

stonepecker

Be careful with that tank top heater. It burns the oxygen in the room you are trying to heat. Step out of the shop every hour and breath fresh air for 5 minutes or so.
Any shop that is uninsulated is going to be hard to heat. Start there first and plug the drafts and holes. THEN the heat stays in. I know it is a pain but next year.... start with one wall at a time and finish it off. THEN, add a furnace before the cold sets in.

JMHO

This will be my first year in a shop with real heat. Now all I have to do is insulate the ceiling. My Dad's shop is in the front half of his barn. All he does to heat it is gets the dog to drive about 75 sheep into the back half and wait 3 hours and it's comfortable to work in with a jacket and no gloves.
On a more practical note, insulation is more important than the heat source. Unless you want to buy a bunch of farm animals and have them hanging out in your shop. :biggrin: You might have to shovel it out a few times a year.

JP61

Be careful with that tank top heater. It burns the oxygen in the room you are trying to heat. Step out of the shop every hour and breath fresh air for 5 minutes or so.
Any shop that is uninsulated is going to be hard to heat. Start there first and plug the drafts and holes. THEN the heat stays in. I know it is a pain but next year.... start with one wall at a time and finish it off. THEN, add a furnace before the cold sets in.

JMHO

Thanks for the suggestions and warning JMHO!

I'm assuming part of your post was meant for Dan, I don't own a tank top heater. I have a torpedo heater and the few times I did use it in the past, I always had the garage door partially open. Yes, I have a lot of work ahead of me to have a properly heated shop/garage by next winter. Hopefully I'll be able to make it happen.

JP61

Thanks DC! Not a bad idea with the sheep. I wonder what the BTU/Hr output is from one stationary sheep?

I'd like to suggest a couple of ideas:

1- Install a water (if available) or wind driven conveyor style floor system in that area of the barn so the sheep remain in motion, thus increasing their BTU/Hr output and at the same time keep the place clean.

2- Design a manifold style collection/storage/supply system to capture the natural gas being produced by the herd and use it to heat the shop. Obviously he would need a conversion kit for proper combustion.

and this, clearly proves it's way past my bed time :biggrin:

Top Bottom