Patent pending

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is a prototype of a concept I have been working on for several months. Among the features are: 1) the center barrel houses the ink supply for both nibs; 2) the overall length of this model is approximately 180mm, 175mm with either cap removed; 3) numerous weight saving measures such as no centerbands, only partial brass tubes used in each of the three barrels and elimination of the clip (a clip is really useless for a 7" pen); and 4) different sizes or styles of nibs can be accomodated on either nib.

Sample uses could be:
- to provide a broader nib for cartooning with a finer nib for text
- to provide a fine nib for the body of notes with a broad signature nib.

2005623233038_DNFP_IMG_4%20copy.jpg

Thank you for looking. Please feel free to comment and or critique.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Nice work. I like the creativity. I have something similar in the works with a Baron as the base kit. It is drilled and tubed but I don't think I will get to it for a while. Have you thought about wood finials or closed end caps for more weight savings? I know the weight of those finials will really be accentuated by the length of that pen.

Two questions Lou.

1. What does your bandless transition look like with the cap on?

2. What is that second FP nib? Is that a CSUSA replacement nib? I can't tell from the pic.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Coach! Anthony, somehow I figured you'd be the first to try this, but the patent <b>really is</b> pending. [8D]

Shane--here's a pic with one of the caps on. The cap ends have the threading recessed, are bevelled and superglued for durability. Only the trim ring on the center barrel is visible.

200562425056_DNFP_IMG_2%20copy.jpg
<br />

I definitely will make a closed end version, but not really for the weight savings. The pen, with only one cap on, weighs less than a standard Baron or Jr. Gent. The balance is virtually identical to either of those two kits.

The components used are from Jr Gentleman and Baron kits plus a calligraphy nib from CSUSA.

Thanks for the comments.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Lou, interesting pen! Why is the photo in B&W and not color?
Can't slip anything past you, can I R.T.? [:D] It's in B&W for two reasons. First, the USPTO will only let you submit B&W photos and second, because it lessens the likelihood that the viewer will be seduced by the wood! [8D]

Seems Parker made a double FP, but probably not with the innovations you have developed, Lou.

From http://www.pentrace.com/article112201_133.html

"The only other combo made by Parker Pen was introduced around 1907, and as described in "Shop Talk" is called "A New Thing". The name Combo did not exist then, so it was cleverly called a Bookeeper's Special #100 model and sold for $6.00

Described as "Here is something designed especially for bookeepers. It is a double fountain pen, one end for black ink and the other for red. The ink reservoir for the red ink is mottled red, which indicates at a glance the color of the ink in that barrel. The other end of the fountain is black, which also indicates the color of the ink therein. Every bookeeper who has seen and tried this is simply delighted with it. The fountain can be disjointed, if desired, thus making two complete fountains, in which event they can be carried in the pocket in the ordinary way."

Pkr1907Combo.jpg

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for that copy, Ken. I don't know whether my design has sufficient functional difference to be awarded a patent or not. I guess time and the USPTO will tell. [8D]

M

Mudder

Very good pen Lou.

Being a southpaw I cannot use a fountain pen but I can see where your idea could be a real handy one. If it catches on and you become a gazillionaire please remember us little people [8D]

Very nice design and craftsmanship.

btboone

Lou, are you doing the patent yourself, or did you go through a patent lawyer? I assume it's a utility patent and not a design patent? The pen above should have been found in the prior art, and if so the claims should have been worded to say how yours improves upon that one and others that may be out there.

MDWine

Wow Lou, looks like you could get $6.00 for it! [;)]

I'm glad I got to see it before your post, I have been waiting for your "announcement"!

It is definitely a great pen... and your work is excellent.

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Very good pen Lou.

Being a southpaw I cannot use a fountain pen

Just curious, why is that?

We southpaws tend to drag our hands through the wet ink. Makes quite the mess.

Lou,
How can you carry/store this "nib end up"? [;)]

patrick_1853

Mudder,
I'm glad you said that before I ordered myself a chrome Baron FP to try. Sadly, this is true, by the end of taking notes in class the entire side of my hand is normally coated in pencil lead.

woodscavenger

Lefties can use FPs. There is a good article at http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm about it. Typically lefties always have a harder time with any pen because of smearing the ink but FPs are particularly bad. Many of todays inks however seems to dry fairly fast and it's not that big of a deal. the Bigger issue is that many lefties push a pen tip as opposed to righties that pull when they write. With a rollerball or ballpoint it's not a big deal. With a FP it can get ugly. If you have a fine nibbed FP (or more commonly in my experience a cheap medium FP that is not well pollished) then as you write and push the nib along it will catch the paper fibers and at extremes can go right through the paper.

Some lefties overcome this by having a nib specially ground to a left oblique angle (I have not tried that yet) or others can modify their writing style as seen in the article. I have mixed troubles with the Baron nibs as well documented in this forum (although most that have been returned were by righties) but my new Gentlemans FP medium nib is AWESOME! That thing is soooooo smoooth especially with the Private reserve ink Anthony sent me. I also bought one of Anthony's 14K nibs and it also is very smooth.

So, long story made short.....if you are a lefty....you can still write with a fountain pen!

woodscavenger

I forgot to ask. How did you recess the thread fittings on the cap? How did you get rid of the trim ring? If you saw my stubby Baron you'll see I used something similar and want to know how you did it before I ruin a few kits.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Rick et al--yes, this is the pen I had at the Doghouse barbecue.

Bruce--I did the research myself. I reviewed over 1200 utility patents in painstaking detail. Unless I missed one, maybe Parker's patent was a design patent. Mine is utility.

Mudder--remember who? [:p]

Woodscavenger--the trim rings were not used at all. The recess was measured with calipers and pressed in carefully.

As for lefties, <b>Quink</b> is a good foutain pen ink which dries almost on contact. If you slow your writing down just a hair you should be able to handle a fountain pan. I would suggest you try a fine nib on an inexpensive pen like the Lamy Safari which penworks (Tony Turchetta) carries. If you end up liking the look and feel of the Lamy, but want to go the extra mile, you can have nibs ground with an oblique profile. Let me know if you need a source for re-grinding.

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions! [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom