Part wood part acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

I once heard about wet sanding wood with mineral spirits, and I have to say that I've done that a lot since I first saw it and it works really well. So I do wet sand the majority of my wood blanks using MS. I also use MS for acrylics as well, since the drippage won't rust the tools/ lathe.

Rollerbob

I once heard about wet sanding wood with mineral spirits, and I have to say that I've done that a lot since I first saw it and it works really well. So I do wet sand the majority of my wood blanks using MS. I also use MS for acrylics as well, since the drippage won't rust the tools/ lathe.
Now there is some news you can use!! Thanks!:wink:

el_d

Does the MS color/discolor the wood or embed the slurry in the wood?

BigguyZ

Does the MS color/discolor the wood or embed the slurry in the wood?

I've had no issues with that. The MS will darken the wood while it's wet (I've never had raised grain form MS on wood), but I always run the blank on the lathe with a dry rag pressed on the blank to heat/ dry it out. That, or just let it sit and flash off naturally (I'm too impatient, so I use the rag).

But I've had great results with this, and if I wanted to I can get a high gloss on bare wood (though it won't last once handled, what's what CA's for).

Top Bottom