Papal Payday

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

When the Pope comes to Philly and NY it's going to be an economic windfall for lots of folks looking to cash in on this event. Already I've seen Pope pens for sale on Facebook for big money. Street vendors are being rumored to be selling hot-dogs for $20, bottled water for $10, tee-shirts, hats, memorabilia, and anything else one can sell I'm sure they will. All hotels are booked as far as Atlantic City while the locals have rented out their homes and apartments to strangers for thousands. Travel in and out will be a logistical nightmare. I'm all for free enterprise however I am getting to see first hand the feeding frenzy in the early stages. No doubt this has happened to all the other cities he visited since being elected.
I will be living at my job - literally - for 4 days and nights because all roads in and out of Philly will be shut down ("the thruways are closed man"). Air mattress, food, change of clothes, my usual travel stuff I will be bringing. I as well as 3 others in my department will be paid round the clock - Thursday thru Sunday - 96 hours - plus OT plus working my regular 40 (136 hours total) from that Monday to Friday. I wont have to sell any Pope pens. You might want to read all the opinions from the media to get a sense of the enormity and problems the visit will bring.
For the faithful this is big. For the vendors this is big, for the Pope I do hope he has a message that will make this all worth it and if that message brings something positive long after the brooms have cleaned up the streets, businesses have made their bank deposits, news media eventually returning to regular news, time will tell if anyone remembers what that message was.
... My biggest concern is I wont be able to turn a pen for 4 maybe 5 days. They wont let me bring my lathe. :eek:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I think that demonstrable greed such as you describe with the vendors and stores would sadden him and cheapens his message...so I'd avoid the 'pope memorabilia', and avoid trying to cash in on a religious leader's visit...Save the money for the hotdog - give it to charity and feed the poor.

Papal visits are certainly rare - but they shouldn't turn into a circus when they happen...

Skie_M

"The Vatican revealed their newest product this past Sunday, yes, it's Pope on a Rope! Wash with it, go straight to Heaven!"

kudos to you if you can guess the movie reference ... :)

Top Bottom