Pair of Jr Retro's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DSallee

DSallee

Hey all, well it's been a while since I had been able to turn anything... got these two done last night :biggrin:

1st pen is a 10K Jr Retro in Raspberry Ice

2nd pen is a 10K Jr Retro in Thuya Burl

Both of these are going to our pastor and his wife for there Anniversary on Sunday. Thuya Burl is his and the Raspberry Ice is hers.

Any comment are welcome!

Thanks for looking
Dave

Attachments

• retro_raspberry_ice_1.jpg
    retro_raspberry_ice_1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 197
  • retro_raspberry_ice_2.jpg
    retro_raspberry_ice_2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 147
  • retro_thuya_burl_1.jpg
    retro_thuya_burl_1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 178
  • retro_thuya_burl_2.jpg
    retro_thuya_burl_2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Both pens are very attractive. Thuya has always been one of my favorites, and the raspberry ice has a lot of nice figure. You've done well by both of them.

-Barry

akbar24601

Great pens Dave! They are going to love them. That Raspberry ice is beautiful and the Thuya is very handsome. They will treasure them.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great job on both Dave ! Raspberry Ice has nice color and the Thuya Burl looks better than the one I turned today . It will be posted tomorrow .

Really nice work ! :)

DSallee

Thanks everyone on the comments...

Only 1 thing bothers me on the Thuya Burl I turned...

After it set overnight, (after assembly) the "eyes" had some tiny cracks in them?? I did notice them when turning and "thought" I got rid of them when I did the BLO/CA finish of 4 coats... I noticed tonight that the "cracks" re-appeared as little white lines within the eyes?? I hope this doesn't cause problems with the pen at a later date!

I really can't do anything about it now that I can think of and after studying the pen, the wood and how it looks... It's kinda growing on me that those little cracks actually add character to the pen, it LOOKS like real wood and has the characteristics OF real wood... which I think the pastor will appreciate... (if it doesn't cause problems later)

Now, for future reference, how could I have avoided this? Or is this just how Thuya burl is? BTW... this is the first Thuya Burl I've turned...

Thanks again for the comments..
Dave

DSallee

Thanks for the comments everyone...

Well, I gave the pens to them today and they just loved them! Loved them so much they both started crying and saying they were just beautiful! He also told me before we left church that he is really good friends with some people that own local businesses and is going to (show them off) and see if I can display some in there stores! how cool is that!!

Anyway, things went really well and I may have a few orders from other members of the church as well. We just started going to this church about a month ago and they have blessed us in so many ways since I lost my job last month. I wanted to do this for them as a thank you for what they have brought back into our lives!

Thanks again for the comments,
Dave

jttheclockman

Really a nice set of pens and a great story to go with them. It goes to show you you never know where a customer will show up. Good luck with that.

DSallee

Thank you John!

Yea, it was kind of a surprise to me and the wife! The gift was never meant to drum up business from the church. When we met last month and we started attending the church, he asked what I did for a living (copier tech) and what my hobbies were (turning pens). He said he had never seen a pen that someone made by turning wood and wanted to see one. I showed him one and he was floored! He never thought someone could make a pen on a wood lathe!

Because he was so intrigued by the pen, I decided to make them (him and his wife) a set for their anniversary....

You know the rest of the story...

Dave

lwalden

Nice work, Dave! The Thuya burl is my favorite, though that's not a surprise given my preference for wood over synthetics. Looks like excellent work on both of them!

Top Bottom