Pair of Hummingbirds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 76winger

76winger

A couple pens I got finished up this weekend included a Gatsby with a Hummingbird kit and an Aero with it's smaller barrel "adjusted" to accept the kit as well. This came about due a special order where the buyer liked the Gasby & gold colored finish, but also mentioned she REALLY liked rose gold. I couldn't find the Gatsby, Sierra, or variants with a rose gold finish, so I ordered the Rose Gold / Black TN Aero to try, not realizing it used a smaller barrel at the time.

I ended up having to glue a piece of maple to the smaller 23/64 in. brass inner tube of the Aero and then turn it down to the same outside diameter of the 27/64 in. tube in the Gatsby, then glue the hummingbird body onto the resulting enlarged barrel. The Aero tube was also shorter, but thankfully not "too" short, so the body still fit without loosing any of the image.

In the end, I think they both came out pretty well, and now I can let the customer pick the one she likes best.

Thoughts as critiques are always welcome.

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Thanks guys.

And considering I glued my index finger to the Aero's body :eek: while sealing the ends, I think it came out extra good. :tongue:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
A Pair of Aces! to be sure. Nice work Dave. How "thin" was the Inlaid Blank after turning it down to the hardware size, on essentially a 27/64 inch tube? :eek: P.S. I just went and checked a 27/64 tube against Aero hardware. I guess it's still got ample meat on it. Still scares me!!! :redface:

Last edited:

bitshird

Constants Humming bird is a beautiful kit, You did a pretty neat job on them, my wife carries one and get's more compliments on it than any other pen I've made for her. your customer should be more than pleased the pens are gorgeous.

Top Bottom