Painting tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Since you're supposed to rough to tube before gluing it into the blank, painting the tube covers up the roughed surface, how is that supposed to hold inside the blank?

On another post I described a problem pen where I had to try to disassemble the pen and the tube let loose because of the paint.

I painted the tubes, after roughing them, with Testor's the day before I glued them into the blanks.

Am i doing it wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nancy,

There IS NO wrong.

I have very rarely roughed a tube. If you glue it right, it will not move. If you glue it wrong, or with old glue, or are using a resin that doesn't accept glue, readily, you will have problems. I have never believed "roughing" the tube would matter, much.

This is MY OPINION!!! Backed by several thousand pens. But you are ALL welcome to do it YOUR way. Just don't say its the ONLY way.

DozerMite

Banned
It isn't the glue giving, it's the paint sheering. Glue a tube to your car and pull the tube, the glue most likely won't let loose, but your paint will. The glue has a chemical bond with the paint whereas the tube and the material being turned, only have a mechanical bond. Since the glue is engineered to have sheer strength and the paint has none, the paint gives first. Sorry for rambling.

hewunch

hewunch is going out to glue a tube to his car and test this theory out. Hope the wife doesn't notice :biggrin:

its_virgil

Like Ed, I don't rough the tubes before gluing. I would guess there have been 50 or more threads on techniques, tools, and jigs used to sand the tubes...some quite elaborate and others not. I don't sand tubes and I have had no problems from not doing so. Coverage of the glue is the most important part of gluing tubes. I also paint the hole in acrylic blanks with primer and allow the paint dry for a couple of days prior to gluing. I think primer is engineered to stick better to the painted surface than other paint and also engineered to have other stuff stick to it...like the top coat of paint or maybe glue. I use two part epoxy for gluing tubes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Since you're supposed to rough to tube before gluing it into the blank

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Hmmm...this thread might be helping...I painted two tubes white, with bright white spray paint for metal. Used them on two different pink acrylics and ruined both because the paint melted away from the tubes and shows thru very darkly in those spots.

@*&*#@&$^#^$!!! Guess I'll try primer painting the inside of the tubes next and see if THAT works!

Thanks! Lee

Top Bottom