Painting acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

I painted inside a tube with acrylic paint, let it dry and then installed the tube with gorilla glue and turned it a few days later. I can see the tube with spots of black, but not all black like it was originally painted and therefore should be. The pen is good enough to give away, but you can't sell it, and the dang thing is a $20 pen with parts and the blank! Any suggestions or opinions what I did wrong? What paint should I use? I have tons of nail polish in this house, perhaps that would work better?

This is a black ti amer rollerball from woodcraft..I think it is metal on metal threads. I read that is not great, buy why not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Some of the paint may come off while gluing. I paint the inside of the blank. For glue I use epoxy; I color it with 2-3 drops of the same paint I use for the inside of the blank.

Brewmeister35

What color blank did you use? Some seem to be a lot harder to do them without seeing the glue and/or tube through them. I also paint the inside of the blanks with testors and I'm going to start adding the paint to my 5 min epoxy too.

workinforwood

yea, I used an acrylic, fire and ice. I'll do that next time, I'll add some nail polish to some epoxy...practically the same as textor model paint. I went for painting the inside of the tube black, which didn't totally work out, but if it had worked out, I think white would have been a better inside color. Thanx for the tips.

bobkeyes

Jeff,

I suspect your culprit is the gorilla glue. It foams and turns an opaque brown on curing. It is porous so I suspect that you could see some tube color through it.

As has been said, the best I have found is to use 15 or 30 minute epoxy and color it a little with the paint used on the tubes. Seems to work well in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom