Padauk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I got some of this in some time back and have been wanting to try it. Had a request for another orange pen, so I gave it a shot. I like it and it turns well, but it's a little more open grained than I was expecting from my initial look at it.

200572005352_padaukSL.jpg

Go ahead, slam away. Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Billy, the pen looks real nice.

Padauk sure is open grained. I don't try to fill in the grain, it looks more natural with the grain as is. I have sold a number of pens in this wood.

Fangar

It will likely darken up as time goes by. Looks like carrots shooting off your lathe, but warms up a bit eventually. Looks nice.

James

vick

Not sure if you know but Padauk has a tendency to go from Orange to Red and eventually turn brown when subjected to air and light. Depending on what finish you used it may stop the process. Just though you should be aware of the possibility before you sold it as an orange pen. I have a Padauk business card holder that I made that is now brown where the card do not cover and red behind the business cards.

vick

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Thanks, all, and yes, I'm aware of the color change attributes of Padauk. However, I did not know that it would go to brown, Mike. I thought it just got red.
I found this link that explains a little bit about the color change
http://www.wflooring.com/Technical_Info/Species_Tech_Info/Species_Pages/padauk_african.htm

The Business card holder I refered to was just oiled as a finish, which according to the article would make sense why it changed so much. Though I would have to guess that light has a lot to do with it since it is still red behind where the cards sit. You might still call the color redish, but I would say brown is what first comes to mind. Now I have a waterbased poly finished chess board for the same amount of time that still looks bright red.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Good choice on the compnents and the overall look of the pen is great!
The first time I turned paduk I thought I had a pile of rust on the ways of the lathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom