Pabst Blue Ribbon Pen - Your Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I am working on ideas for my Pabst Blue Ribbon pen. Here is a very crude representation of one idea using wood from the original brewery. Keep in mind, this is a prototype and by no means represents the final product.

The blue is blue dyed maple the light wood is pine from the brewery.
I think the first thing I need to do is replace the blue maple with acrylic to better define the lines and stop color bleed over from one wood to the other.

The pine is very dry and brittle and needs to be stabilized. Until I get my Turn Tex Vacuum Chamber, I have some pine blanks soaking in some Minwax Wood Hardener. As a side note, I thought I could use a brake bleeder and an empty paint can to hasten the process. Nope, the can collapsed at -7 PSIG.

I am concerned if I don't stabilize the pine, the pen's clip will rest on a piece of pine and crack the CA and or dent the finish. Is that a concern?

I really don't want to use this pattern on the whole pen, it makes it looks to mush like it escaped from state prison. Since the wood came from part of the skylight, I am considering an acrylic blue sky and white clouds blank for the lower part of the pen. Perhaps http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2020329/21368/acrylic-pen-blank--storm.aspx from Woodcraft.

Your comments and suggestions would be warmly welcome.

Attachments

• pbrphoto1.jpg
    pbrphoto1.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 150
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

wrap a flattened bottle cap around the other barrel (you could turn a pine barrel way down and put cap around that), cast and turn....

Fireengines

I have 100 old PBR bottle labels for the 50's, the ones that go around the neck of the bottle, that I can use.

However, I would feel more comfortable using something that will not upset PBR.

PR_Princess

What about having the segments on just the ends...making the pen barrel look like old beer barrel? Hop blossom finial? Just thinking out loud...

What ever you come up with, maybe you could enter your pen in PBR's art contest??...

PBR

Now how cool would that be??:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::beer:

Top Bottom