P&M Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I used to work in a manufacturing environment with one of the big three automakers. There was a group of plant managers that when they got together for their biweekly plant meetings they always had the first 30 minutes of the agenda as set aside for P&M. After the first meeting I went to I found out that my naivete re thinking that P&M had something to do with prevention or maintenance or plant management was clarified! P&M stands for **** & Moan. What they had found out is that if they allowed 30 minutes for everybody to **** & Moan - get it off their chest in other words - they could get down to real business and deal with the manufacturing problems thy had.

I personally am tired of reading along in a thread and all of a sudden have to or three people start some kind of pissing match and attacking each other. I would like to suggest that perhaps the forum administrators should create a P&M forum for those who think they need to criticize, condemn, berate and attack others so they could go get it off their chest and then perhaps can go back to other forums and add some constructive comments.

The last thread I was reading through was CA Cracking - and all of a sudden BAM! Remember - a fire will go out if you quit throwing logs on it.
It is hard to believe that we can't be more mature and considerate on a site that historically has helped and encouraged so many.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

Not a bad idea at all, but I doubt the offenders will use it. The real solution is to appoint some additional moderators that can delete the nonsense and let the rest of us get on with real informative discussions. If the nonsense continues, you ban the offending user either temporarily or permanently.

I'm a member on a motorcycle restoration site where there were similar issues. Effective moderation eliminated the trolls.

keithbyrd

Not a bad idea at all, but I doubt the offenders will use it. The real solution is to appoint some additional moderators that can delete the nonsense and let the rest of us get on with real informative discussions. If the nonsense continues, you ban the offending user either temporarily or permanently.

I'm a member on a motorcycle restoration site where there were similar issues. Effective moderation eliminated the trolls.

Unfortunately one of the biggest offenders has an awful lot to offer but he is such a critical and demeaning person that I don't want his knowledge or experience.
Maybe the moderators could set up an auto login for these offenders and they can't go anywhere else until they dump 2-3 bombs on the P&M site and it then lets them go on to other forums!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Unfortunately one of the biggest offenders has an awful lot to offer but he is such a critical and demeaning person that I don't want his knowledge or experience.
Maybe the moderators could set up an auto login for these offenders and they can't go anywhere else until they dump 2-3 bombs on the P&M site and it then lets them go on to other forums!
Interesting....we now have a thread going trying to increase the number of posts and this one going that, if the suggestion is followed, will reduce the number of posts...

jttheclockman

I think in either thread the key word is constructive posts. Not destructive posts. We are trying to add onto this house and make it better, not knock it down. We are trying to add additional rooms on, not lock doors behind us and throw away the keys. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I think in either thread the key word is constructive posts. Not destructive posts. We are trying to add onto this house and make it better, not knock it down. We are trying to add additional rooms on, not lock doors behind us and throw away the keys. :)
:)I intentionally did not mention the two or three threads trying to increase the number of forums:)

Sabaharr

If you don't deal with cancer it will deal with you.

Wow, I came up with that on the spot. Proud of that one.

keithbyrd

Interesting....we now have a thread going trying to increase the number of posts and this one going that, if the suggestion is followed, will reduce the number of posts...

The intent is to get some into a padded room so they can yell and scream and then go out and play with the rest of the group - not reduce the posts but try to eliminate destructive posts.

Akula

I really like IAP but majority of the time, I just come to look at peoples work and read their short description. The P&M was going on before I joined and will go on long after I leave this rock. It's just the accepted way here. This is the only site I have someone on ignore. My loss for sure as the person seems to have a lot of knowledge but I'm not wanting to read all the other negative junk to get to something good.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
When a thread takes a nasty turn, hit the little Yellow triangle on the left by your user name and it is reported to the moderators. Fastest way I know to shut down the troublemakers. Also used to close your classified ad and get it removed from the section to eliminate clutter

Curly

The intent is to get some into a padded room so they can yell and scream and then go out and play with the rest of the group - not reduce the posts but try to eliminate destructive posts.

I wonder if for some it wouldn't serve as a warmup area. When they come out, they come out swinging hard!

CREID

I would like to say that I don't enjoy these things either. But and this is a big but, I have allowed myself to be involved in a few, very few mind you but a few and I am not proud of it. One person I even put on my ignore list. Let me say that I really like the IAP and have gained a lot of knowledge here and hopefully passed on some knowledge. So I pledge to do my best ( I am only human and was raised in a, how do you put it, a hostile though not physical environment) to refrain from behavior detriment to the IAP. I will say this though, I am 56 years old and have learned a lot in my time, and if someone gives out advice that I know from experience that is bad advice, I will say so, and from here out I will leave it at that. Some people will take calling out bad advice inflammatory, but over the years, you can't imagine the millions of dollars I personally have seen wasted and the injuries caused by bad advice.
So, hoping to be a better member.

Curt

tbroye

I can just imagine how brutal a P&M forum would be all in BOLD CAPS in Red #7 Font. It wold probably be so bad that everybody would be banned instantly. The we would have to have a go stand in corner forum be there for certain number of days before you could come out and join the rest of.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator

I have been the head moderator here for many years now. We have rules and as along as those rules are followed, we do not get involved or delete posts. We don't delete nonsense just because we feel it is nonsense. It has to clearly break one of the rules we have to be deleted. Believe me, we used to be a lot stricter and just as many if not more folks bitched about it. Our moderation tries to be very objective based on the rules rather than subjective based on our feelings. If you see something that clearly violates the rules, hit the yellow triangle and report it.

edstreet

I can just imagine how brutal a P&M forum would be all in BOLD CAPS in Red #7 Font. It wold probably be so bad that everybody would be banned instantly. The we would have to have a go stand in corner forum be there for certain number of days before you could come out and join the rest of.

One good thing is forum runner does not show any if the red size junk that is popular. Looks just like normal size and color. :)

Top Bottom