ow to cut brass tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Anyone able to tell me what sort of shop equipment one needs to cleanly cut a brass tube? I have a friend who wants me to make a keychain for him, but he wants one much shorter than the kits give you in tubing. I tried once before to cut a 12" length of 7 mm brass tubing I'd gotten when I wanted to make something longer or shorter, don't even remember which, and it came out smashed and distorted. So how can you get a clean cut that can be as smooth as a tube that comes in a kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

My first thought would be to glue it in the length of blank you want to use, then cut it off after the glue dries. This way the blank would stabilize it considerably.
Also the finer a blade used (more teeth per inch) the better...

Texatdurango

Anyone able to tell me what sort of shop equipment one needs to cleanly cut a brass tube? I have a friend who wants me to make a keychain for him, but he wants one much shorter than the kits give you in tubing. I tried once before to cut a 12" length of 7 mm brass tubing I'd gotten when I wanted to make something longer or shorter, don't even remember which, and it came out smashed and distorted. So how can you get a clean cut that can be as smooth as a tube that comes in a kit?

I had really good luck with the el-cheapo mini chop saw sold by Harbor Freight. Clean, smooth cuts without smashing, distorting the round shape, etc. I think it was around $30.

I modified mine to cut larger diameter tubes and cut mainly silver tubes but also cut brass just as easy.

I have five photos of my modified saw in my IAP photo album, here is one of those photos....... http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=6045

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I just use a fine tooth blade on my table top 9" band saw. It is easier to do if you have it glued in a blank and cut to desired length.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Angela!!!!

Best answer I have found--bandsaw with many teeth per inch. Then a file (chainsaw file works great) to clean up the cut.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hey Angela!!!!

Best answer I have found--bandsaw with many teeth per inch. Then a file (chainsaw file works great) to clean up the cut.

I use my deburring tool.

Attachments

• deburring tool.jpg
    deburring tool.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 231

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I have a Ryobi table top (yeah, I know.. but it's pretty decent) bandsaw
with a metal cutting blade. I'll get 10 packs of tubes and cut them all at
once. Works well enough. Clamp a stop to the table for length and go.
But the safest way is to cut it inside the wood. (as mentioned above)
Don't try to cut tubes on a bandsaw with a regular blade unless it is
already inside the wood. They can jump around really quickly!

wow .. in the time it took me to type this, people said the same things.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Scroll saw

My first thought would be to glue it in the length of blank you want to use, then cut it off after the glue dries. This way the blank would stabilize it considerably.
Also the finer a blade used (more teeth per inch) the better...

I'm sure you can get a blade for cutting light non-ferous metal with a scroll saw if you happen to have one. Otherwise there is a cheap chop saw intended for just that purpose.

kirkfranks

I stick a dowel of tight matching size inside and then cut on the miter saw with fine tooth carbide blade. The dowel keeps the brass from collapsing and since it is long (It does need to be long) you keep hands away from the blade.

The other suggestion of cutting after gluing into the blank also works well.

KenV

parting off tubing

Collet Chuck to hold the tube and a parting tool to separate it. Deburr the end with the edge of the parting tool.

(tried to attach photos but they did not stick).

Last edited:

KenV

photos of parting off tubing on the lathe

2nd try at pictures

Attachments

• Figure2.jpg
    Figure2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 141
  • Figure3.jpg
    Figure3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 116

BKelley

The best thing I have found to cut tubes is a jewelers saw with a fine blade. Check your local jewelers supply house. They are reasonable and do a jam-up job.

Ben

Andrew Arndts

I have an Arrow saw and I sometimes use that. but a plain old hacksaw with a wooden dowel inside the tube works just as well... and it is cheaper.

Top Bottom