Out with the old lathe, in with the new...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MattTheHat

I picked up this beast last night to replace my Grizzly G0602. It's about 150 pounds heavier, but because of the simpler transmission, the overall footprint is about the same. Got her all bolted down this morning and just turn a hank of scrap. She runs smoooooth!

Now...who needs a 27" pen turned?

-Matt

Attachments

• pm1127.jpg
    pm1127.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 3,674
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Geezzzzzzzzzzz, a bit of an "over-kill" for making pens but, from what I can get on the background, you do bigger stuff and you have some other big toys to play with so, I'm sure, it will do a lot of other stuff, bigger than pens, huh...???

Nice piece of equipment, tough...!:wink:

Cheers
George

bluwolf

Wow! Very nice. I'm happy to see the Precision Matthews lathes starting to take a hold here. I've had my PM12x36 for over 2 years and I love it. I see you've got what looks like a Grizzly 6x26 to go with it. That's a nice set.

Geezzzzzzzzzzz, a bit of an "over-kill" for making pens but, from what I can get on the background, you do bigger stuff and you have some other big toys to play with so, I'm sure, it will do a lot of other stuff, bigger than pens, huh...???

Cheers
George

You have to remember, you can make small things with a big machine, but it's tough to make big things with a small machine. It's nice to have the choice.

Mike

MattTheHat

I've got three of those workbench/stands in the garage. They sure help with storage space!!!

Yeah, I got the lathe and mill to do a bit of everything. I was going to start turning 27" pens, but I'm guessing there won't be much of a market. :)

-Matt

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I've had my PM12x36 for over 2 years and I love it.

:biggrin: I love your lathe too Mike :biggrin:

Wish it wasn't so far to your shop :rolleyes:

robutacion

Wow! Very nice. I'm happy to see the Precision Matthews lathes starting to take a hold here. I've had my PM12x36 for over 2 years and I love it. I see you've got what looks like a Grizzly 6x26 to go with it. That's a nice set.

Cheers
George

You have to remember, you can make small things with a big machine, but it's tough to make big things with a small machine. It's nice to have the choice.

Mike

Yes, I do agree there, for sure...!

The only problem with that sort of methodology, men and their "toys" is that, we and I mean we, don't seem to ever be satisfied with the size of tools we have, is always that something bigger out there that could be quite handy, sometimes...! That may explain why I have stuff that was either used once, or never used at all, that "quite handy opportunity" hasn't happen yet, or was just too much of a trouble to get it set up, just for a little thing so, and as much as we all hate to admit it, we all have these sort of "ghosts" in our closets, huh...???? Ppppssssssssssssss, don't let the wife know about it...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

yort81

Matt....Im thinking really hard about getting the G0602 ~ Can you give me the good.. the bad and the ugly on it? :)

Troy

MattTheHat

Wish I had room in Ben's Playpen for that size lathe. It really looks nice. Now let's see some pics of what it produces.

Ben

Here's something that came off it yesterday. I'd purchased a cheapie die holder a few weeks ago which was smaller than I'd anticipated. That's an easy fix. Just chucked it up in the 3-jaw and carved away at it until it fit. I had a nice drop in fit without any play while it was warm. But, of course once at room temperature the die wouldn't even think about fitting. Back on the lathe to mill of an extree thousandths or two and it was ready to go.

-Matt

Attachments

• holder.jpg
    holder.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 142
Top Bottom