out of round???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

I have a question. If I don’t drill my blank exactly in the center it should still round out right. I seem to be having a problem with my pens when they are done are just enough off that I notice. The bands are just a hair off. Probably only another pen turner would notice but it there. Could there be a bend in my mandrel? It doesn’t seem to be bent. HELP!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Mike,
Search the archives, this comes up a LOT here, and there are a LOT of great tips. One of the best is to first check out http://www.woodturnerruss.com

HuskyDriver

Mine seemed to be slightly out of round untill I changed my live center on the tailstock to a 60 degree to match the mandrel end. Now there nice and round!

Greg

knottyharry

Mike,
It could even be that you are putting too much pressure on the mandrel from the tailstock. That will cause the mandrel to bow a little. Just run it up till it touches and the live center starts to spin....just till you start to feel a little pressure on it. It doesn't take much at all.
Harry

knottyharry

Mike,
You are not supporting a lot of weight here so you don't need much pressure on the mandrel. If you keep a lot of presseur on it eventually you will wear out the end of the mandrel also.
Also good sharp tools, and light cuts....don't try to hog the wood off.
Dull tools, and pushing too hard will bow the mandrel also.
Let us know how you make out.
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom