Out of My League Quartet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Noot17

Noot17

My work does a competition every year that involves selling products. I was able to pick up some Majestic kits on the company's dime, so I am going to try to win with these.

$50 kits are probably still above my skill level, but it was fun turning full size kits and learning lots!

I used Italian Madreperlato acrylic in royal blue, dyed and stabilized red box elder burl, dyed and stabilized purple tiger oak, and 1930s hand harvested maple burl (my personal favorite).

C and C welcome! Also, which is your favorite?

66bbf4cfce1d4ef2b90138413ea7969e.jpg
2d75426cfde31aa26f412a7f2e820247.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Cheers Eric.

Shoot, you don't need any $50 kits, these Majestics are perfectly fine, and a high - end product.

I see nothing amiss with your turning/finishing, so you are well within the "quality range" you place yourself. Well done! Thank you for sharing.

EDIT for favorite... Maple Burl!!!

Last edited:

Noot17

Thanks, Mark, and others!

(these kits were $50 each, by the way ;) ...)

The tiger oak is pretty nice, the color shows better in person. The finish wasn't as nice as I'd hoped though because it was really porous and I was wanting to have some of that show through, but then built up too much CA for the effect to be noticeable and now it looks like I just didn't smooth it out enough... Oh well! Learned from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

cjester

They all look good, and the blue is really compelling with that trim, but for my taste, you just can't beat that natural maple burl.
-Carl

Dehn0045

ditto on the maple burl, that one is my favorite too. But all of them are great, simply fantastic!

Noot17

Thanks, all! I appreciate the comments.

Drilling the blanks was tricky because I didn't have a proper jig for holding it with the drill press. Definitely recommend a jig or drilling on the lathe for them. Or actually using oversized blanks, which I didn't have. Not much margin for error. This has also encouraged me to save up for the equipment to drill on the lathe. Even with a good clamp on the DP it's difficult to drill straight through...

Top Bottom