Our newest neighbor.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

We have been listening to this guy or gal for several weeks now, but have never seen it him or her. Tonight the owl flew into the maple just in front of my house after a squirrels. So I ran as fast as I could to my office and grabbed my DSLR and threw my 300mm lens on it and got several shots of it. Here is one of the better shots. Glad to put a face to the voice. :)

Attachments

• IMGP2893_owl.jpg
    IMGP2893_owl.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 411
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Great photo. I don't have the proper camera equipment.

I have a pair of red tails that hang out in my stand of pines. I could sit and watch them for hours. Very cool birds.

Jim Smith

Great shot! We have a Great Horned Owl that lives in the neighborhood, but the only time I've ever seen him/her is the VERY occasional glimpse out of the corner of my eye in the evenings. Huge bird that likes to hoot now and again, but very secretive.

Last week we had a lovely Redtailed Hawk perch on our deck railing about six feet from our kitchen window while he was eyeballing the squirrels. I'd have loved to get a photo, but heck I can't even take a good picture of a pen propped up in a photo tent:rolleyes:

Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Billman,

As a fly tier, I try to stay on top of what you can and cannot have as far as fur and feathers. Feathers from Owls, (in fact all raptors) as well as song birds and almost all migratory are an absolute no-no here in the states. The authorities have no sense of humor but they do take prisoners.

When Clinton was in the White House, Hilary was out campaigning for one of his issues and a woman she met gave her a Dream catcher which she had made for her. Unfortunately for this woman she had included an Eagle feather in her Dream Catcher. Hilary graciously accepted the gift, but a couple of nights later, federal agents actually broke down the door of the woman's house and raided it looking for illegal feathers. The woman was hauled off to court, but I think she only received a very stiff fine.

To tell you how ridiculous it is, I live on a fifty acre lake that has several Canada Geese that arrive every spring to raise their goslings. When the adults molt in the summer, they leave (among other things) loads of primary wing feathers all over my back yard. It is illegal for me to pick those feathers up, even to throw them away. I can run them over with my lawn mower, but I can't have them in my position. Two months later I could shoot them and have all the feathers I want, but that's a different story.

Jim Smith

Back in the early '50's when I was about 10 or so, we sharecropped on a farm in east Texas... our landlord/neighbor raised game chickens and fought the Roosters... Illegal in Texas, but legal in Louisiana... to keep the owls from hauling his chickens off to never never land, Mr. Brown put spring traps on 15 ft poles around the property... he caught one that literally pulled the pole out of the ground and drug it for a distance across the field... Mr. Brown's boys and I walked up on the bird but didn't see it until it tried to take off again with that pole... 3 little boys nearly wet their pants when that bird started flapping...

Daniel

Steve, really nice photo, My guess is the original is even better. You may want to see if you can submit it to any Bird identification type sites. You really got the Owl to stand out in all those crazy limbs and what not. that is not at all easy to get. But It comes out real clear and visible. Nice picture.

Top Bottom