Our first 2 bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

Well, actually it's 2 and 3. #1 just wasn't quite presentable as an end result :redface:

The dark one is Mora, the light one is Tamarid

Attachments

• IMG_1217_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1217_1 (Custom).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1219_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1219_1 (Custom).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1229_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1229_1 (Custom).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_122_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_122_1 (Custom).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1221_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1221_1 (Custom).jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1227_1 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_1227_1 (Custom).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Is the wood fuuly seated on the stopper in the second pic? Looks like there might be a slight gap. Otherwise very nice.

Carl Fisher

Nope. I actually need to back it off and flush the tenon up a bit so it seats all the way. Was hoping nobody would catch that :)

After the first one, I swore off the stopper mandrel and decided that turning the old way with a good tenon and 4-jaw chuck was a much better option.

Carl, it looks like you source your stainless stoppers from the same place as me. You will most always have a problem getting them flush with the bottom of the stopper as I don't think they do a lot of machining to ensure a flat top. To solve this, I have started countersinking the bottom into the wood/plastic in a chuck prior to turning on the mandrel. It doesn't take much longer and the result is well worth the effort. This will be almost a necessity if you have bought any of their mini cone stopper as the top actually isn't flat at all but domed.

I'll try to post a picture or two when I can get back on my other computer.

Carl Fisher

Had a few of the mini ones in my basket the last time we went to the store but put them back for some reason. Glad I did now until we get a process together that works. Have several of this tear drop style to do still.

I'll have to give a closer look to the mating surface. Thanks for the tip :biggrin:

AnachitlPut

i seen those in the store and i will be doing one soon. i wanted to know how they put together i see that the stopper has no barrel but yet you have to screw it in?

Carl Fisher

@glycerine: Yes, it's one of my pen display stands. Just a simple mahogany stand that I throw together when I need a new single display.

@Luke: The stopper portion has a 1/4-20 piece of all thread that threads into both the stopper and the turned portion. You just drill to the right depth and diameter (6mm or so on the drill bit) and let it thread. Ultimately you can put a drop of epoxy in there when you attach it for god so it doesn't come out of the turned section.

randyrls

To solve this, I have started countersinking the bottom into the wood/plastic in a chuck prior to turning on the mandrel. It doesn't take much longer and the result is well worth the effort.

That is an excellent idea!!!

Are these Stainless Steel? and where did they come from?

I like both the woods. The Tamarind has a nice grain pattern.

Last edited:
I don't glue in the wood stoppers. People will get them dirty and try to throw them in the dishwasher or soak them in the sink. I include care instructions but inevitably people won't listen because they are lazy and they will figure once through won't hurt them...

I've had two that people have tried to return to me that were so waterlogged that when I pulled them off the base, they were molded.

nava1uni

I don't glue in the wood stoppers. People will get them dirty and try to throw them in the dishwasher or soak them in the sink. I include care instructions but inevitably people won't listen because they are lazy and they will figure once through won't hurt them...

I've had two that people have tried to return to me that were so waterlogged that when I pulled them off the base, they were molded.

I would not take stoppers back that people had abused especially if you include care instructions. However, if you glued the stoppers in with epoxy the water could not get up the threads. Also I seal stoppers so that the moisture from the refrigerator or wine cooler will not affect the wood.
You should look up Ruth Niles stoppers. They seat well, as made out of surgical stainless steel, are a lower profile so they have a lower height.

Yeah...I agree Ruth Niles are the premier stoppers. That being said, I get my mini stoppers that are 304 stainless for $2.40 each. For that price, I can deal with the slight dome on the stopper.

I seal all of my wood stoppers as well and they will easily stand up to normal use....even slight soaking. It is difficult to seal wood, especially segmented, when they sit in water all night, and keep it in good shape.

I did NOT take the stoppers back by the way. I did offer to make new identical stoppers and ship them out right away. One accepted, the other smashed the stopper on the ground right in front of me. She had bought it from me two days earlier at Artsquest show in Seaside, FL.

Top Bottom