Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

Originally posted by JTaylor801
<br />I don't understand what closing this poll and creating a new one will accomplish. I think you'll still receive discussion against and discussion for. <b>While the voting results lean towards "Yes", and I haven't read every message in this thread...I can say the discussion certainly leans more towards No</b>.

If you think that members voted Yes prior to really understanding the background of IAP etc. then just don't create the new "Other Turnings" Forum.

However, it's just 1's and 0's.

Jerry

Jerry,

And how did you come to this conclusion?[?][?][?]

Some of us vote then leave it at that...others will insist that only their way is the way and they fight with claws and teeth. If the silent majority decided that...stay silent after casting their vote...PLEASE DO NOT interpret it any other way for them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />If you are going to run a new poll, may I add a third option. I've been trying to make the option more inclusive of all members, rather than a contest between members. What if we create a forum called "Other Things We Make"? That could include turnings, flatwork, scrollsaw work, rings, fishing rods, game calls, etc. Also, by calling it "Other Things WE Make" it remains perfectly clear that this is a group of pen makers (primarily) who happen to have numerous talents. Just a thought.[8D]

I think this is a great idea and hope that Jeff will consider it.

Dario

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />If you are going to run a new poll, may I add a third option. I've been trying to make the option more inclusive of all members, rather than a contest between members. What if we create a forum called "Other Things We Make"? That could include turnings, flatwork, scrollsaw work, rings, fishing rods, game calls, etc. Also, by calling it "Other Things WE Make" it remains perfectly clear that this is a group of pen makers (primarily) who happen to have numerous talents. Just a thought.[8D]

I think this is a great idea and hope that Jeff will consider it.

This might dilute and confuse the votes.

If we do this...will a vote for it also count as a vote for "Other Turnings" when a decision comes down to have one or not?

Say...

NO = 200
Yes to Other turnings = 150
Yes to Other things we make = 100

Which one wins? For me it is "Other Turnings" but then again that is only how I see it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Dario - I think "NO" wins in your example. What am I missing?

So I guess a poll might be:

1 - No new forum
2 - Other Turnings forum
3 - Other Things We Make forum

I kind of like Lou's suggestion...

(1) it encompasses other turnings.
(2) it defuses the argument "if we're going to have other turnings, why not flatwork, etc."
(3) it doesn't dilute the mission statement by focusing on other lathe work, distracting us from penturning.
(4) it might encourage posting of all kinds of interesting stuff. We have some extremely talented furniture makers in our midst and I'd enjoy seeing their work.

Keep discussing...

Dario

Jeff,

Exactly my point...it will split the votes that otherwise will be for Other Turnings should the other was not introduced.

Dario

Would you think it is fair for 2 democrats to run against 1 republican on a presidential election? (or vice versa 2 republican to 1 democrat to be politically correct)

Hope I am driving my point.

With all due respect Jeff

You are the CEO of Penturners
If you feel another forum will help this site grow, then do it.
If you feel another forum will hurt this site then, don't do it.

If you try it and it doesn't work out, then delete the new forum.

But you will never know how it will work out unless you try it.

All the polls in the world won't change the outcome.

JTaylor801

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by JTaylor801
<br />I don't understand what closing this poll and creating a new one will accomplish. I think you'll still receive discussion against and discussion for. <b>While the voting results lean towards "Yes", and I haven't read every message in this thread...I can say the discussion certainly leans more towards No</b>.

If you think that members voted Yes prior to really understanding the background of IAP etc. then just don't create the new "Other Turnings" Forum.

However, it's just 1's and 0's.

Jerry

Jerry,

And how did you come to this conclusion?[?][?][?]

Some of us vote then leave it at that...others will insist that only their way is the way and they fight with claws and teeth. If the silent majority decided that...stay silent after casting their vote...PLEASE DO NOT interpret it any other way for them.

I said I didn't read every single message in this thread. However, I did read several from members who seemed very passionate about keeping site the way it is. I also read a few that said they voted yes and stated they wish they could change their vote.

I personally don't give a hoot which way it goes. I can choose to read or ignore whatever content I want. At the end of the day, it's either going to happen...or it's not. I personally won't lose sleep either way. [:)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by jeff
<br />Dario - I think "NO" wins in your example. What am I missing?

So I guess a poll might be:

1 - No new forum
2 - Other Turnings forum
3 - Other Things We Make forum

I kind of like Lou's suggestion...

(1) it encompasses other turnings.
(2) it defuses the argument "if we're going to have other turnings, why not flatwork, etc."
(3) it doesn't dilute the mission statement by focusing on other lathe work, distracting us from penturning.
(4) it might encourage posting of all kinds of interesting stuff. We have some extremely talented furniture makers in our midst and I'd enjoy seeing their work.
Keep discussing...

That, oh great leader, seems to be THAT!!

If YOU would enjoy it, and it's YOUR house, then TRY it.

Always reserve the right to change your opinion if things go south with it!!!

BTW, I don't do a lot of interesting things, so my posting pics will STILL be VERY limited. I DO enjoy seeing the talents my friends here have exhibited.

And, for the last several months, this is the ONLY wood-related site I visit. So, feel free to expand my horizons without making me "surf" a bunch of other sites.[8D][8D]

kenwc

I agree with putting the debate prior to the vote. In hindsight this would have been better. I for one agree to just keep this simple. If you are going to base the decision on the "vote" then creat a new poll...lock out all the passionate responses and go with the vote. Simple..

M

Mudder

<br />Would you think it is fair for 2 democrats to run against 1 republican on a presidential election? (or vice versa 2 republican to 1 democrat to be politically correct)

Hope I am driving my point.

Not too well.

It happened in Connecticut just the other day. (Although it was not a presidential race)

A Democrat was defeated in the primary so he created his own party and petitioned to get on the ballot; Guess what? HE WON!

I think that Robin Williams said it best in the movie. "Polititions are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason."

My yes vote was for one simple reason..... The stuff is already posted on the site so even if a new sub forum is voted down you’re really not changing anything. I simply thought it there was a sub-forum just for the other things we do, be it bottlestoppers, furniture, flatwork or whatever it would be in its own sub-forum and not in casual conversation. It would make the site a little cleaner IMHO and would not detract from the main focus of the site which is making pens & pencils.

gerryr

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Wouldn't it be best to have a poll to see if there should be a new poll?

Actually, I think there should be a committee to investigate if there should be a poll to determine if there should be a new poll.[:D]

But, I like Lou's idea.

DocStram

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />With all due respect Jeff

You are the CEO of Penturners
If you feel another forum will help this site grow, then do it.
If you feel another forum will hurt this site then, don't do it.

If you try it and it doesn't work out, then delete the new forum.

But you will never know how it will work out unless you try it.

All the polls in the world won't change the outcome.

I agree with Ron. Sometimes, nothing is ever easy. I encourage Jeff to just make a decision and do it. We're just using negative energy with another prolonged discussion.

ilikewood

Jeff, did you lose your job or something like that? Let me get this straight...you WANT to start another forum where you have to do MORE babysitting from whiners like me? [:D]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Jeff, did you lose your job or something like that? Let me get this straight...you WANT to start another forum where you have to do MORE babysitting from whiners like me? [:D]
Not me! I'll appoint a new babysitter [:D]

Chuck Key

The results of this poll seems quite decisive with a consistent ratio of almost two to one in favor of a new forum. Throw out the least popular choice based on the vote then poll again based on the new suggestion.

The choice would be:

Other Turnings forum
or
Other projects or interestes forum

Chuckie

Ron Mc

Jeff,
I think it would be a good idea to have the same poll over again. Let's face it....It's hard to make an educated vote without reading all of the pros and cons first.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jeff
<br />
Originally posted by ilikewood
<br />Jeff, did you lose your job or something like that? Let me get this straight...you WANT to start another forum where you have to do MORE babysitting from whiners like me? [:D]
Not me! I'll appoint a new babysitter [:D]

I'll babysit for ya chief. [;)]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Kind of like a members gallery of non pen related projects?
HMMMM where did I think of that before?

rtjw

2006111404054_z%20dead%20horse.gif
<br />

Oh, Jeff, Can you get better smiley's? Or is this something I need to post in the ideas poll?

jaywood1207

I haven't been around as long as a lot of you but this post seems to hit the nail on the head in my opinion. A lot of the longer term members are afraid of new members and change. A lot of the responses to topics in IAP in general seem to be based on who posted the topic and not the content of the post.

I voted yes and if another poll is started again I will still vote yes. If you don't want the forum then don't look at it if it is introduced. I think there is enough history here that it will remain a website based on penturning and will not be taken over by other turnings because of a forum that is added.

You would think that there is a huge crowd of turners that don't do pens standing at the door waiting to run in and take over as soon as the other turnings forum is added if it is added the way some of you are responding.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Someone already suggested better smiles. I'll get to it. It's #43 on the fixes, improvements, and stuff-to-do list.

Daniel

I voted no as well. and feel as atrogly about it as others that have posted here. within the turning world. penturning is struggling to shed the image that it is a minor indevor. only for those that don't really turn wood. on other turning groups I have visited, pens get a polite brush off over interest in (see Lous list above)
to introduce such work to this group directly could very well cast it's primary pourpose into the background.

Darley

Originally posted by jaywood1207
<br />

I haven't been around as long as a lot of you but this post seems to hit the nail on the head in my opinion. A lot of the longer term members are afraid of new members and change. A lot of the responses to topics in IAP in general seem to be based on who posted the topic and not the content of the post.

I voted yes and if another poll is started again I will still vote yes. If you don't want the forum then don't look at it if it is introduced. I think there is enough history here that it will remain a website based on penturning and will not be taken over by other turnings because of a forum that is added.

You would think that there is a huge crowd of turners that don't do pens standing at the door waiting to run in and take over as soon as the other turnings forum is added if it is added the way some of you are responding.

I'm not afraid of you, but if you go the the butcher shop to buy milk and bread sure you will find it [}:)][:D]. But like Lou say and other members is Jeff site, he run it as is please and to please you ( I mean all the YES)

What I see is less true penturners post here with photos and technic(s)

BTW jaywood1207 you go to the YahooPenturner and ask Richard if you can post your other turning on is site, I think you will have a strait and quick answer, same, do ask Ed Davison who give a lot of is knowledge here ( because we ask him and was kind enought to do it, thanks Ed for this ) ask him if you can show your other turning in is bottle stopper site, you will have the same answer, I think Jeff getting too softty because of all of you ( the Yes ) and forgot about is rules and by laws

emackrell

Oh come on folks. We're turning pens, not calling in airstrikes. No one lives or dies by our posts. Don't take it so seriously.

Put another forum for "Other things we make" on the site and give it a six month trial. That should give us enough time to tell whether it's worth doing or not.

Hooah Eileen [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
<br />JUST DO IT!!!

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!
I agree DO IT.
Keep it a <b>PENTURNING SITE!</b>
The results of the poll are very misleading.
The reasoning FOR starting a new forum seems to be<b>"JUST BECAUSE"</b>
The reasons against it are based in <b>logic </b>and the <b>mission statement of this site.</b>

[Let the bowl turners post their work on sites where they can compete against BOWL TURNERS for accolades.People who have the knowledge and expertise to make intellegent comments about their work.
There they will be a little fish in a big sea.
I view this request as a group of people want attaboys from those who know little about their craft.
The SOYP has turned into a "Sunshine up your dress forum" and "look what I did today!" rather than show us your best work! We don't need a forum to impress us mere penturners.
Members profiles can include links to cool sites that should be enough.

Dario

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
Let the bowl turners post their work on sites where they can compete against BOWL TURNERS for accolades.People who have the knowledge and expertise to make intellegent comments about their work.
There they will be a little fish in a big sea.
I view this request as a group of people want attaboys from those who know little about their craft.
The SOYP has turned into a "Sunshine up your dress forum" and "look what I did today!" rather than show us your best work! We don't need a forum to impress us mere penturners.

Eagles,

I am really surprised that this keeps coming up. Who is competing with whom?

Who looked down on you that you keep on insisting the bowl turners have the "attitude" or star syndrome? Your work were highy regarded and admired on several forums and you know that. If there were problems there, I assure you it wasn't your work/talent.

I don't want to say it but there were posts where (I think) some penturners looked down (in effect) on CNC operators. This separatist attitude stinks!

I wish we can just share, look and admire each others work/talents.

(Dario...walks away sad [V])

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Dario-
I did not create the separatist attitude.
Look at any turning site and count the posts and comments about Bowls versus pens.
Look at views versus responses.
That attitude was there long before I stated posting on any of them.
As far as CNC operators.Well yes they fit here if the product is a pen but by the nature of the tool they use it really desrves its' own forum.
What doyou say Jeff how about a forum for CNC operators also?
That would make more sense since they make pens.
THIS is a penturning site in case anyone has forgotten.
It was when I walked in the door.

Dario

Eagles,

I admire your work and most of us do. I hardly post on your posted work (as well as others) now but that doesn't mean I feel less about them.

It is just tiring to say WOW, AWESOME, etc. all the time ;) LOL.

Just know that <b>even in silence your work is admired</b>.[^]

sandking

Being new, please don't beat me up too bad. Are there bottle stopper forums? I noticed some info on this site, does that mean pens and bottle stoppers are ok? I would like more info on bottle stoppers, any guidance on a forum for that would be helpful.[:D]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopper/

Originally posted by sandking
<br />Being new, please don't beat me up too bad. Are there bottle stopper forums? I noticed some info on this site, does that mean pens and bottle stoppers are ok? I would like more info on bottle stoppers, any guidance on a forum for that would be helpful.[:D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

Wow, there is much passion here. I answered yes, but I do understand how some feel. I hate to disagree with my mentor/sensei, but this is penturners, not pens. Penturners are often interested in other turning and I've enjoyed a lot of pics of bowls turned by others. On the other hand, the line does have to be drawn somewhere.

I'm a member of both my local and the association of woodturners, but I don't go to their site. This is my home and I like to be able to see other turnings. I also love flatwork, but does that mean that we should open a flatworkers' page? I wish I could remove my yes vote, but what's done is done. I guess that means that I'm not really disagreeing with Lou, but it's more of a line issue, than a subject issue.

BTW, as a member of my local AAW, I'm never made to feel like a RHSChild. When I have a question about stoppers, I do go to the stopper forum, but I could never replace the family feel this place has, nor the awesome format of the site.
Rob

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom