OREGON MYRTLEWOOD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I need some inexpensive blanks to turn multiple bottle stoppers. I can get OREGON MYRTLEWOOD at a great price. I have never turned it...
Anybody out there ever use it?

Does it turn easily?

Does it take a finish well?

Thanks.
Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I've made a pen from it. No problems turning or finishing.

Attachments

• Challange 1.JPG
    Challange 1.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 184

cnccutter

it grows like weeds here in Oregon on the coast. turns great and finishes fine. the locals make lots of stuff out of it from bowels to pens. if i said anything down about it, I'd say it is softer than I like wood, but not to the point I wouldn't use it. depending on where you buy it, the color will go all over the board, from light pail yellow/tan to dark brown. if your lucky you'll get both and it will be interesting to look at.

go for it... :)

Erik

FrankG

Myrtlewood is a beautiful wood that comes in many colors and grain patterns and takes a beautiful finish.

Erik: Soft? I've turned a lot of Myrtlewood, always dry, and I certainly wouldn't call it soft. Maybe it's a matter of perspective.

cnccutter

Frank I would say its been a 4-5 on a scale of 10 for the myrtle I've had... not really soooooft, but defiantly not hard rock maple or purple heart in hardness.

Erik

Myrtlewood is a beautiful wood that comes in many colors and grain patterns and takes a beautiful finish.

Erik: Soft? I've turned a lot of Myrtlewood, always dry, and I certainly wouldn't call it soft. Maybe it's a matter of perspective.

Top Bottom