Opinions on Sierra Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chigdon

I have never tried the Sierra kit and wondered what peoples opinions were. How is the finish? Does it look and feel high end? Is the clip well thought out and heavy or is it cheap? Anything else good or bad would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I don't have anything bad to say about the sierra construction wise. If ever it will be the shape at lower part...it looks very elegant but a bit too thin and sleek for my personal taste. I want something that helps me hold the pen easier. That said, I just ordered a few kits because they really look and feel good (other than above).

JimGo

I have a prospective customer who is a pen collector with several very expensive ($5,000+) pens in his collection. I was showing him some of my work, and he was especially intrigued by the Sierra. He liked its weight and size, and kept coming back to it despite my attempts to push him more toward the Jr. Gent/Baron and other, higher-end pens. I think you'll be pleased with them Chris.

chigdon

That is great feedback already. I sell a lot of the JR Gents Ball Points and one of the reasons is because of the size. Is the Sierra skinnier? It kind of sounds like it.

Dario

It is skinny on the end because of the taper but it is not really that skinny. A really nice kit to try and I think you won't regret it. For sure it has its own market.

JimGo

I haven't done any of the Jr. Gent ballpoints. Hopefully these pics will give you an idea of the Sierra's size versus some of the other pens:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15198

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have several that I carry around with me at different times. BOW at ministers meetings, Snakewood when wearing a tie but not at a ministers meeting, and usually I take a Japanese Persimmon (ebony) for everyday. Having said that, the one that I carry every day - I have dropped it a couple of times on rough concrete - and the black paint on the lower barrel has a scratch on it that shows the brass.

It has been used heavily and traveled with me around the States this past spring from the east coast to the west coast, from New Orleans to Alaska. In my pants pockets at time with coins and keys, and over here to Japan. Loaned out and dropped by others too. It has been used. Everyone likes that pen. I doubt that many people treat their pens as rough as I have that one. I am amazed that it still looks as good as it does. The clip is still tight and none of the gold has worn off.

Now as to my BOW and Snakewood, I take real care with those and they show it.

mrcook4570

My only complaint about the sierra is the mismatched trim rings. With the use of the black titanium platings to complement the gold titanium or platinum, durability is a nonissue. It is my best selling ballpoint. Both men and women like the feel of it. It is a very well balanced pen.

chigdon

Do you just like the look of the ones without the black better? I assume you mean the titanium?

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I only buy the new Sierra's without the black and they are very nice sellers. I'll be giving the copper a try soon also.

Wayne

redfishsc

I personally do not like the look of the sierra. Looks way out of balance. The large "nib" part, ie, everything south of the wood blank, is way too huge. Just my $.02.

wayneis

Chris, when you see them in person you will see what I mean. The titanium is in my opinion, has a lot more class. Recently I showed about ten assorted Sierra's and the person bought all of the titanium and not one of the black.

Wayne

Buzz

I've just turned my first few Sierra's (thanks to Ernie for some great and speedy service) and really like them, particularly the Black Ti. There would not be a kit that is quicker or simpler to assemble either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom