Openers, stoppers and coasters, oh my!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alankulwicki7

alankulwicki7

What do you do when your favorite restaurant closes after 62 years in business? :eek:

You know, the one that you've been frequenting on a regular basis since 1983 :biggrin:

You know, the one that has the best chicken wings and subs around :biggrin:

You know, that little dive bar/restaurant with great service and great food :biggrin:

You know, that restaurant in the building with 4 other restaurants that total 110 years of service that's being torn down for a 26 story apartment building.:mad:

Yes, that one. The Big 10 in Stadium Village by the University of Minnesota.

You talk to the owners and acquire some wood from the bar before they demolish the place Then you get a custom coin/insert made and make a bunch of items for the owners to sell at their other location.

That's what you do (or at least what I did)!

So far, I've made 30 sets of coasters, 20 bottle openers and 15 wine stoppers. The order is all packaged up and ready to go but I took a few pictures of some items I will be selling!

Attachments

• bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 356
  • bt2.jpg
    bt2.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 289
  • bt3.jpg
    bt3.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Very nice! I like the gesture, shows you care about them and the community they served! :)

Now ... let's just hope Doug doesn't put my address on the box by mistake, I'ld hate to have to pay shipping back there if these end up on my doorstep! :eek:

alankulwicki7

Thanks for the comments, guys!

It's never a good thing when a business closes but I bet I've been to this place (the Big 10) at least 300-350 times over the years. Heck, when I found out they were closing in August I bet I made it down there 12 times in the last 3 weeks. Even though there is another location across town, this one was special to us because it was a little greasy spoon, hole in the wall type place with awesome food. My wife loved it so much that we even had our rehearsal dinner there when we got married :). When the Big 10 closed, the owners had an auction for all of their memorabilia so we bought a few things to decorate our basement hallway. The huge sign is hand painted and probably goes back to the early days. It had been hiding behind some things in the basement and the owners didn't know they had it until they started to go through everything. Now it's hanging on my wall :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 168
Top Bottom