open segmented turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tommyd

tommyd

here are a couple of open segmented turnings I have done, the first one is made of bambo and walnut consit of 354 pieces the second one is also bambo and walnut closed bottom and open top.

Attachments

• opensegmented 003.JPG
    opensegmented 003.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 354
  • opensegmented 008.JPG
    opensegmented 008.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 230
  • opensegmented 009.JPG
    opensegmented 009.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 223
  • opensegmented 005.JPG
    opensegmented 005.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 298
  • opensegmented 007.JPG
    opensegmented 007.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 314
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hehndc

Nice work. I have done some segmented bowls. I still struggle with the settings on the sled to get the angles right. I lot of trial and error getting the set up right.

Steve

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I am always amazed when I see these sort of turnings. I have yet to try a segmented bowl let alone an open segmented hollow form. Very well done! The first one looks like a tremendous amount of work, but something about the slightly simpler second lidded one really appeals to me.

Fred

Here is a link to one of many segmented design programs. This one requires purchasing, but it does all the calculations you would ever need.

http://www.turnedwood.com/software.html

Just do a Google search for segmented bowl design and you will be given several ideas. Here is a link to the design for an angle cutting sled. It appears to allow the cutting of many different angles and makes cutting them accurate (a must have) and fairly easy to do. http://www.segmentedturning.com/plans.htm. Be sure to look at their home page for an index of many other excellent write-ups. http://www.segmentedturning.com/index.

Hope this helps some of you out if you decide to work on one of these rather intricate projects. :)

Last edited:

bad

Those are amazing. I've only had my lathe for about a month now. I'm still learning the intracies of segmented pen making. OK, I've only made about 10 pens, 2 of which I tried putting in small bands of different wood. Boy, do I ever have a lot to learn. But once I get that mastered I eventually want to try segmented bowls and vases. Of course I probably need to learn how to make regular bowls and vases first. All of that should keep me off the streets and out of mischief for a while.

Bruce
Calgary, Alberta

BigRob777

Bravo,
I really like the candle pot thing. I'm going to be getting some bamboo that's almost an inch thick at the walls. I hope I can do it some justice, as you did. Ever since Gilligan's island, I've wanted to make a set of cups from bamboo. Now I can go one step farther and turn it.

I'll even (for the first time ever) reveal my supplier, since I'm not planning to sell blanks from the material. It's NCWoods. He's on ebay, but he also has a web site.
Rob

Last edited:

Øistein

Hi, here is a few of my segmente works. both close and open.

No 1 is named UFO bowl. 116 pieces. The material is: Oak, Bog Oak, Birch, Jatoba and Mahogany.

No 2: Miniature vase 68 mm high, all pieces is 3.5 mm high, built of African Padauk and Norwegian Birch.

No 3: 420 mm vase 280 mm wide, 1221 pieces, all pcs 10 mm high. The wood is Norwegian Birch, Black Walnut, Merbau and African Padauk. Building time: 250 hours.

You can see more at www.flisespikkeriet.biz (The Woodpecker´s Workshop).

Attachments

• P3270014.jpg
    P3270014.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 272
  • open_segment_42cm.jpg
    open_segment_42cm.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 216
  • minivase_68_mm.jpg
    minivase_68_mm.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 241
Top Bottom