Oops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marc Phillips

Pictures say it all really....

Got a small cut and a medium lump on the top of my head; something ricocheted off the ceiling..., lost a nice magnetic base light and a 30 amp breaker that, apparently, tripped so hard it broke. It wont reset at all so I replaced it.

So easy to do... started up the Beall buffer, and I had moved a fan around to the other side of the lathe since it was so hot... that's all it took. The fan and the suction effect of the Beall pulled the cord of the light into the buffer... BLAM!!

Just wanted to share, so maybe someone else will check their cords before they turn again.

Attachments

• Oops1.jpg
    Oops1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 282
  • Oops2.JPG
    Oops2.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Oops3.jpg
    Oops3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Marc; You've just had a graphic example of why turners say "Never wear loose clothing, long hair, jewelry, or gloves while turning. Never wrap anything around your hand or fingers".

BUT; I'm glad you are OK and everything can be replaced!

ThomJ

Glad you made it out alive. I saw a supervisor in a machineshop get his tie caught on a chuck, wasn't pretty

bitshird

Glad you made it out alive. I saw a supervisor in a machineshop get his tie caught on a chuck, wasn't pretty

Yup seen several accidents like that in machine shops, Ties, gloves ,letting too much swarf build up around a shaft being turned. Not pretty. Marc you were lucky.

phillywood

Marc, we have something in common your last and my first name. glad you are OK and nothing caught on fire. Accidents like that happens and it's just a reminder that we need to be more careful around the shop. glad it didn't' hit 2 inches down below your forehead. Take care and be careful.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Accidents like that happens

Sorry, but I disagree with that. Accidents don't 'happen' they are the the result of carelessness or negligence on the part of some person. I work in a warehouse that has gone three years since or last recordable injury and had gone another three years prior to it. We have also gone nine years without a lost time injury. How? Because of a focus on safety and the attitude that no accident is unpreventable. If you accept that accidents are inevitable. then you are setting yourself up for an accident. Any time you are working around machinery you need to be aware of any potential hazards. As Marc clearly stated in his post, he did not think about the lamp cord and the result was an 'accident', or as the Merriam Webster definition of accident "an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance"

Didn't mean to rag on anybody, but being part of the safety team at work, things like that phrase get to me.

fyrcaptn

Glad you weren't seriously injured!
Whatever you choose to call it, accident, oversight, a momentary lapse in judgement, poor planning, Karma, kismet, or oops - I hope we all can make it a learning event. We need to look for potentially bad things and results and make changes.
Working in the fire service for 30+ years, I've seen the aftermath of more unfortunate events than one might believe. It only takes a split second to potentially take or change one's life.
Thank you for sharing!!

Robert A.

Marc glad it wasn't worse.One way to look at this is it happened as a reminder to KEEP OUR eyes open for potential "accidents".I for one have caught myself lately getting distracted.With the heat I can get frustrated real easy, or just lose focus.Thats when I turn off the lathe and step bck and gather my thoughts.So when someone post something like this it happened for a reason.To make ME think and be MORE careful.So think you Marc for posting this.And I'm glad you weren't hurt more than you were.

Robert

Marc,
hate it when things like that happen..... have to agree with Dale... I think we cause most of our own "accidents" because we overlook the little things....it's easy to do, but not smart on our parts.... we work with high speed machinery that has the potential to do really serious harm.

Now all that said, I sported a black eye for a month or so and still have a tender spot on my cheek where that bowl jumped off the lathe and smacked me just under the eye... when I wasn't wearing a face shield... all because I didn't check the tension on the chuck face and got careless.

Take care, watch where your fingers are at all times, keep the face shield in place at all times...I've certainly learned my lesson there.... just be safe. I'm really glad you only got a small knock on the head... the material things are replaceable... eyes, fingers, etc are harder to come by...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Accident???

Speaking as one who 3 years ago stuck my left hand into a table saw (fortunately with the help of God and a good surgeon I still have all my fingers)....I belong to the school that says there's no such thing as an accident. We do something dumb and get punished for it...at least most of the time that's what happens.

Top Bottom