OOOOOps!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Well, I'm going to have to make myself a new walnut desk pen! I had a very nice crosscut walnut desk pen that sat in my pen/card holder on my desk.

For some unknown reason, it wound up clipped to the neck of my tshirt....and went through the washer AND dryer. Amazingly, it still writes just fine, but since it was one of my first pens and just had a friction finish on it (pre-CA) it is rather the worse for wear. The heat of the dryer cracked the wood, and the finish is all cloudy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

Ahh bummer

I have my first pen in a special place in my shop.she's a real looker that one.might actually benefit from a trip through the wash

navycop

Well, I'm going to have to make myself a new walnut desk pen! I had a very nice crosscut walnut desk pen that sat in my pen/card holder on my desk.

For some unknown reason, it wound up clipped to the neck of my tshirt....and went through the washer AND dryer. Amazingly, it still writes just fine, but since it was one of my first pens and just had a friction finish on it (pre-CA) it is rather the worse for wear. The heat of the dryer cracked the wood, and the finish is all cloudy.
Maybe you can cast it like worthless wood pen. Atleast that way it will still be "your first" pen.

azamiryou

How bad is the crack? You can disassemble it, put it back on the lathe, fill the crack (Aren't you the one who's been showing off pens with crushed turquoise fill?), refinish and re-assemble. Good as - no, make that better than new!

sbwertz

How bad is the crack? You can disassemble it, put it back on the lathe, fill the crack (Aren't you the one who's been showing off pens with crushed turquoise fill?), refinish and re-assemble. Good as - no, make that better than new!

The whole barrel is a network of hairline cracks. It is a walnut slimline, turned to the bushings, so the wood is VERY thin, and cross grain. I fear it is beyond salvage. It isn't my first pen...my husband has that one, but it is an early one.

This is what it USED to look like. It was my first attempt at cross-grain turning.

penstand.jpg

Last edited:

sbwertz

I have a nice piece of curly-burly walnut. I'll make myself a new desk pen. Maybe I'll try a closed end pen for the first time, now that I have TBC bushings!

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
That's a nice looking pen Sharon. I think you should disassemble it, put it back on the lathe and refinish it. Build up a slurry of sanding dust and CA. After all, what have you got to loose? Looks like you have a lot of meat left on there.

renowb

Reminds me of the old Timex commercial with the watch strapped to an outboard motor propeller. Takes a lickin' and keeps on .....writing!:wink::eek::)

sbwertz

You were right

It is better than new! I can't believe I saved it. When I tried to take it apart, the transmission was stuck in the upper barrel and pulled out of the lower barrel. I had to mangle the transmission to get it out because the cap was still in the other end.

Took it apart, stabilized it with thin CA, sanded it with thin CA, filled the cracks, sanded it again with thin CA, finish sanded it, micromeshed it, CA finished it and put the original kit back on with a new transmission. It had a Fisher Space Pen refill in it, which was OK, and I put it back in. Here is the result.

oops.jpg

ctubbs

I Knew you could! I just knew that a talented woman could do anything she set her mind to. Congratulations on a grand save. Beautiful work, by the way.
Charles

Top Bottom