One parting tool for another

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I have a nice jet branded hSS Sheffield England parting tool that if like to trade for a brittish steel narrow parting tool similar to te one shown below - which is a psi one.

Does anyone have an extra narrow parting tool they'd like to trade for my big one?

Shipping will cost me more than you. :)

Attachments

• image-2799010084.jpg
    image-2799010084.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 152
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurtleTom

part tool.jpgI designed this one for small turnings many years ago. Made it from a 7 1/4 in carbide skill saw blade. Used in a handle down / low tool post mode it works better than my other parting tools. I ground it to 0.030 inches thick. I'm thinking about making a thinner one for pens only.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/attachments/f156/138014d1441911989-one-parting-tool-another-part-tool.jpg

Last edited:

Skie_M

I made mine out of a 4 dollar Diablo demo blade and some scrap oak... (demo blades are thicker, heavier metal that will take more punishment)

Clamped the 2 pieces of oak together, drilled 2 holes .... put the steel blade in between and marked the holes with an automatic center punch ...

Drilled with a carbide glass cutting bit on my drill press (went through real nice) ... stuck some nails through and cut them off just a hair long, then peened the ends to mushroom them out like rivets.

After that, I went to my sander and ground off all the teeth and rounded the handle to my liking, making sure to dip the blade every now and then when grinding on it to keep it cool .... I then shaped the tip to my liking and sharpened it.

Everything I did in this description I learned from Captain Eddie.

Top Bottom