One of those days in the shop...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Still being a bit of a rookie at turning, I tend to have "one of those days" in the shop more than I'd like. I was making a pen from a beautiful 4 color blank I made, set the caliper wrong, and turned it way too small at the ends. After that, I decided to make a resin bud vase for my daughter and while I was polishing the end I noticed some tiny pinhole air pockets. I'm sure it's caused by some yellow mica I purchased from China since the same thing happened with it last time, and only happens where the yellow is. It also never fully dissolves. I have to pluck out pieces of it before I put the mold in the pressure pot. I work slow on the lathe, so this was a lot of time that would be wasted had I not learned from it. Always double check the calipers, and if you have problems with a particular product, don't use it again hoping for the best. I decided to run to Blick Art Supplies - an hour each way - and buy some Pearl Ex yellow. I should've done that before I poured the blank!

Anybody else have "one of those days" occasionally?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acc78

Happens all the time to me, that is a hike to go to Blicks from Surprise, im in Chandler so not to far away if i need anything.

robutacion

Still being a bit of a rookie at turning, I tend to have "one of those days" in the shop more than I'd like. I was making a pen from a beautiful 4 color blank I made, set the caliper wrong, and turned it way too small at the ends. After that, I decided to make a resin bud vase for my daughter and while I was polishing the end I noticed some tiny pinhole air pockets. I'm sure it's caused by some yellow mica I purchased from China since the same thing happened with it last time, and only happens where the yellow is. It also never fully dissolves. I have to pluck out pieces of it before I put the mold in the pressure pot. I work slow on the lathe, so this was a lot of time that would be wasted had I not learned from it. Always double check the calipers, and if you have problems with a particular product, don't use it again hoping for the best. I decided to run to Blick Art Supplies - an hour each way - and buy some Pearl Ex yellow. I should've done that before I poured the blank!

The "one of those days...!" is probably the most common thing amount humans, regardless of what they do or like.

For some of us, when things go wrong they come in lots of 3's and becoming super paranoid about it will only make things worse. how do I know...? believe me I do.

There is not much one can do to prevent it, nor I can tell you what triggers it, it may be just a thing with the human race, I don't really know but I don't particularly like when I pick up that "bug":mad:

Let it pass, it will get back to "normal" when you least expect.

Cheers
George

MRDucks2

Was traveling to Southern Indiana before the weekend and needed to finish 2 of 4 Pens I had sold. First went well the night before leaving but ate the night up having to correct a bit of foaming in the CA. As such, to finish and assemble last pen Thursday Morning before we left. Finish went on well, fits were perfect but when setting the threaded adapter in the bottom part of a Big Ben kit, it looked like it needed to be set just a little further. I quickly set it in my press without my scrap wood and damaged the threads. Could not get it to punch out so had to drill and grind it. Added 2 hours to the pen. Luckily I had a spare kit. Customer specifically asked for the Big Ben over the Patriot kits she originally ordered because the Patriot was "too small" (even though she originally wanted Editor/Tiny Giant). I delivered to her son and she called as we headed back on the road to ask how much more she owed. I told her $50 and I could here her response by the silence on the other end.

Guess I shouldn't have tried so hard. Didn't even charge for my mistakes and over time. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Happens all the time to me, that is a hike to go to Blicks from Surprise, im in Chandler so not to far away if i need anything.

You're doubly blessed, Woodcraft is there too!

The "one of those days...!" is probably the most common thing amount humans, regardless of what they do or like.

For some of us, when things go wrong they come in lots of 3's and becoming super paranoid about it will only make things worse. how do I know...? believe me I do.

There is not much one can do to prevent it, nor I can tell you what triggers it, it may be just a thing with the human race, I don't really know but I don't particularly like when I pick up that "bug":mad:

Let it pass, it will get back to "normal" when you least expect.

Cheers
George

I let it roll off my shoulders these days. I'm already looking forward to a little shop time after work tomorrow, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Was traveling to Southern Indiana before the weekend and needed to finish 2 of 4 Pens I had sold. First went well the night before leaving but ate the night up having to correct a bit of foaming in the CA. As such, to finish and assemble last pen Thursday Morning before we left. Finish went on well, fits were perfect but when setting the threaded adapter in the bottom part of a Big Ben kit, it looked like it needed to be set just a little further. I quickly set it in my press without my scrap wood and damaged the threads. Could not get it to punch out so had to drill and grind it. Added 2 hours to the pen. Luckily I had a spare kit. Customer specifically asked for the Big Ben over the Patriot kits she originally ordered because the Patriot was "too small" (even though she originally wanted Editor/Tiny Giant). I delivered to her son and she called as we headed back on the road to ask how much more she owed. I told her $50 and I could here her response by the silence on the other end.

Guess I shouldn't have tried so hard. Didn't even charge for my mistakes and over time. Lol.

If they only knew the time and trouble that can be invested they'd understand the pricing.

I quit in the shop on Saturday after breaking a 7mm bit. Other stuff happened before that. Usually 'one of those days' occurs when I'm rushing or my head isn't otherwise in it.

If I have 2 "Oh Shots" I lock up for the day. I have found if I blow up two blanks, more WILL blow up.

Yeah, I am blessed with a large shop and plenty to do. If things won't turn (or I can't turn things) the I can cut, scroll, clean, inventory, organize or repair.

It doesn't hurt to know when to quit. I sharpened all my tools except my scrapers, swept back the wings on two spindle gouges and completely changed the profile on a third. Now I have a fresh set of edges ready to go next time I spin up the lathe.

If things start to go bad, just walk away. It's like a football game where the quarterback is having the game of his life. Then something goes wrong, then something else and the harder he fights it, the worse it gets. The best thing to do when these things happen, is to walk away, find something else to do for a while and clear your head. Come back and things will usually go smooth. Usually.

Top Bottom