ON-off motor switch with house wire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Does anyone know of an on-off switch in 220v, rated for a 2hp motor, which I can install in-line to turn off the outlet, rather than using the circuit breaker?

I.e. rated for 2hp, 220v wiring, suitable for use with house wire, cUL or CSA listed, on-off switch (for a dust collector).

I found this, but it says stranded wire only, when you check the manufacturer's website:
Woodstock D4157 110/220 Volt Single Phase On/Off Switch - Amazon.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Can it be done? Sure. Is it safe? 2 hp has a pretty big current draw. What size breaker in the box? I use a simple double throw light switch on a smaller bandsaw, but I think that is 1 1/2 hp. Better wait for an expert to reply.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
It's a 15 amp breaker, wired for 220v, with no. 14 wire, as specified in the manual. About a ten foot run of wire, so no current drop due to distance.

It pulls 9 amps at 220, and has a NEMA 6-15 plug - it's on a dedicated circuit.

Safety is my number one concern, so if there's no certified switch, I'll definitely not be having my electrician do anything against code (not that they would - just wanted to see if there was a switch available).

Electricians mostly deal with housing wire, so I wasn't sure if they'd have access to a MOTOR rated switch that can handle the above.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
In retrospect, it's likely safer to not have a switch, and just turn the DC on and off using the switch that's on the motor - I'll just have to bend a bit more! :)

I don't like messing with house wiring, so I'm going to just leave it as is - especially as it's been inspected and passed already!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Steve, I think that's the same one that Andrew originally referenced. It is intended for use with a crimp-style wire ring on stranded wire. Andrew wants to use it with 14 AWG solid household wiring. I don't know if the screw shaft on that switch is long enough to wrap a "ring" of solid 14 AWG wire around the screw shaft & still get enough contact with the threads for safe operation. Perhaps replacing the original screws with slightly longer ones would work if they aren't.

The one I referenced is an industrial grade motor starter switch, but I can't tell from the datasheet exactly what type of termination it has. The best type for solid wire termination would be one with termination like that of a standard household breaker.

gimpy

I just use a 20 amp switch with a 20amp breakers

It works just like a light switch

12/2 with ground from breaker panel, to switch

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Scott - you are correct. That is an ideal switch for this application. The part number that I referenced earlier (N1302-DS) is a better deal though. It's that same MS302 switch in an enclosure and is available from Amazon cheaper than the switch alone from Grainger.

I finally found the Leviton brochure on that switch and it does have clamp terminals for up to 10 AWG solid wire.

sschering

Scott - you are correct. That is an ideal switch for this application. The part number that I referenced earlier (N1302-DS) is a better deal though. It's that same MS302 switch in an enclosure and is available from Amazon cheaper than the switch alone from Grainger.

I finally found the Leviton brochure on that switch and it does have clamp terminals for up to 10 AWG solid wire.

Oh yeah that is much less expensive.. Prime shipping too..
Leviton N1302-DS 30 Amp, 600 Volt, Toggle In Type 1 Enclosure Double-Pole AC Motor Starter, Suitable as Motor Disconnect, Industrial Grade, Grounded, Gray - Amazon.com

Top Bottom