Olympia CB solution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a new topic for those who might not follow the old one. Thanks to Woodscavenger and Wayneis for their replies.
But after knocking my head against the wall and a short nap I though to myself - self - it was pressed on .... there has to be a way to press it off. If you look in the end of the CB you can see the edge of the tube.
This is what I used: electrical tape to prevent scratches, a small vise for my drill press, 19/64" transfer punch and a split depth collar for a 1/2" twist drill. I had to remove the tightening screw and pry it open with a screw driver and a ball pein persuader (it was a touch too small because of the tape).
How I did it;
- wrap CB with electrical tape - only 1 layer don't overlap it or the CB will slip in the split collar.
- insert the CB end of the cap into the split collar. Make sure the tape doesn't get bunched up out of place or I'm sure the CB will get scratched. Tighten the split collar well. The split collar works well because it squeezes the round CB equally so it won't be deformed.
- suspend the cap in the drill press vise CB end up. The split collar straddles the jaws of the vise. Be careful not to clamp the cap.
- press the cap out of the CB with the 19/64" transfer punch.
- remove the split collar and clean the tapes adhesive residue from the CB. I used DNA - the CB has black infill on one of the rings so I was careful not to get any DNA on it just in case the black could be washed off.
There were no scratches or other damage to the main CB or the 2 loose rings.
Somewhere on this site a long time ago someone recommended transfer punches instead of dissassembly kits. I don't know about the kits 'cause I don't own one but I would not be without those transfer punches. They are invaluable.
There's probably other ways but this worked for me.
Hope this helps someone else.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am gld the surgery was succesful, but cold you post a picture of the tools used?
It may come in handy for future refrence.
Particualary the split "depth collar"

Thanks Doug, hope it works as well for others.

Eagle, I can't post pics yet but the tools are pretty simple. Everyone should have them except maybe the split depth collars. I got the split depth collars at Lee Valley but Grizzly or Harbor Freight should have them. Just don't use the ones that have a set screw that tighten into the drill bit! Get the split ones that "clamp" the bit.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32244&cat=1,180,42334,42335
The transfer punches can be had from Grizzly #G5651 or Harbor Freight #?? (I got mine at BusyBee in Canada because Grizzly won't ship here - non competition agreement they have).
http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.cfm?listtype=keyword&keywords=transfer+punch&submit.x=6&submit.y=3
If I can borrow a dig camera I'll post some pics. I should really break down and buy one.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Learn something new everyday!
I have seen "depth" stops for drill but normally use tape.
Lee valley has the neate$t $tuff!

Eagle, you're right about the $$ but Lee Valley does have neat stuff. Oh, BTW, I didn't notice but when I posted the link to them it is in Cad $$, make sure you switch to US $$ at the top right of the page - that way it looks cheaper[:p]

wayneis

George it looks like you were succesfull. I do believe that I'll stick to cutting them when I have the need because the tubes are so cheap and the chance for scratches are so high. It seems as though it would not take much and a whole kit could be waisted when I could buy new tubes for fifty cents.

Wayne

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Wayne-
Granted the tubes are 50 cents but he saved the blank(finished)
It might be easier to scavenge a new CB from another kit than to remake a and finish a blank.

Wayne, the reason I didn't want to cut the tube is that I epoxy the tubes in and I don't know if there is anything that I can use to dissolve the epoxy (fully cured) without damaging the blank - a beautiful BOW one. If you know of something please let me know - it would be less risky than this way. I read that if the tube was ca glued I could have soaked it in acetone overnight and it would have fallen out.
I never throw out the leftover pieces from cutting blanks to lenght on the table saw (about 1/2" long). So if I had trashed the CB I could have made an oops CB out of one of them.
If the CB had been tighter it may have been damaged, I don't know. There's always some risk when force is used. I think if it had been glued on I would have cut it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom