Old West Style.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farisdayoff

A customer wants me to make a pen that is "old west" styled. My first thought was a bullet pen and then for the top part using either antler, or making a piece of wood look old and weathered. Maybe burn the blank a little, use some weathered stain, something like that.

Got any other ideas? Help me brainstorm.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Culprit

You could brand the weathered wooden upper barrel of the bullet pen with a cattle brand design. Ask the customer if there is an old family ranch brand design, or make one up using his initials.

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
someone here had metal buttons for pen tops, one of which looked like a sheriff's star(or texas ranger)

jeff_in_AZ

There's a lot to choose from with that subject -
the gold rush, mining, steam engines, saloons,
gun fights, cattle ranching, Native Americans,
telegraphs, cactus, rattle snakes...

If you go with the bullet idea, maybe make the
wood look like an old-time gun stock. Most of the
gun stocks I've seen from back then were dark colored
and not very frilly like, say, some straight grain Walnut.
If you went with the miner idea, maybe an acryllic blank
that looks like gold ore and use gold hardware. For ranching,
I like the idea about cattle branding, or maybe you could
cast something that looks like barbed wire fencing.
If you wanted Native American, maybe something with silver
and turquoise, feathers, or a woven blanket pattern.
There was a pen recently in "show us your pens" that had
a woven blanket pattern that looked really nice.
If you wanted politically correct, you could make a
pen and pencil set, one about cowboys and one about indians. :)
Anyway, just some random thoughts. Have fun with it.

jeff

farisdayoff

Thanks for all the great ideas. My creative juices are flowing now. I'll keep you all posted with the outcome. I also have an unbelievable idea for a pen once I start casting but that wont be until later this summer.

redneckmedic

Barnwood, dyed greyish, cast sand color, tmble weed casted, iron wood, tube wrapped with leather clear casted, horse hair casted like feathers, brass/tin wrapped casted, pitted wood with turquoise inlay, arrow head theme, I wood two tone theme.

OOPS

You might consider using the Civil War kit, or use some of the parts from the kit. Also, perhaps using a blank from a Jack Daniels barrel. You could still add the "branding" or other ideas, but these possibilities would contribute to the overall theme that you're looking for. Good luck and keep us posted with your results!

ossaguy

There are a lot of old west-themed stamps out there.I've ordered some old west-looking John Wayne ( the one that has his portrait in cowboy gear ) stamps,and some Republic of Texas,and some Statehood of Texas stamps that I'm hoping will look good on some bolt-action pens,.Probably look best on a lever action carbine-style kit,but I haven't seen any that look the way I want,and the gun clip takes up a lot of the room.

Just more ideas to kick around............

Steve

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If you use a bullet you want to get something like a 45-70, 45-90, 44-40 or another used in the old west.

But I don't think a bullet pen convey's old west...I'd look for some sort of custom inlay...there are a ton of themes you could go with..cowboy, wagon train, cattle drive, mountain man, etc.

Top Bottom