Old newbie here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Papa Joe

Hello fellow wood turners. My name is Joe, but grandkids have always called me Papa. I'm a74 year old Navy veteran of the Vietnam war living in the great central valley of California (I'll keep my political leanings to my self). I am not yet retired but hope be in the next year or so. I have been interested in wood working for as long as I can remember. No one else in my family is or was a woodworker, so I don't know where my interest came from.

In 1984, my ex-wife bought me a Shopsmith package to make repairs around the house and it came with a basic set of turning tools. Over the years, I have turned a few rolling pins, paper towel holders, etc. Never got into turning very much, but I also turned parts for repairing broken furniture. The last couple of years, I have picked up an interest in turning pens, pepper mills, and such. I also obtained from my neighbor (who is leaving California) a small mini metal lathe. My current wife bought me a Rikon midi lathe. I still have the original Shopsmith tools and have been acquiring other tools. I have a set of carbide tools, Nova chuck, pen mandrel. I'm trying to accumulate most of what I need in anticipation of retirement. I have basically all I need to start pen turning except for finishing supplies. I have yet to turn my first pen but have a few basic kits and some blanks (both wood and some acrylic).

I have watched just about all the videos on Youtube, but am looking forward to this forum for help and education. Maybe I can even contribute a little bit.

Happy turning,

Papa Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

floatslow

Hello fellow wood turners. My name is Joe, but grandkids have always called me Papa. I'm a74 year old Navy veteran of the Vietnam war living in the great central valley of California (I'll keep my political leanings to my self). I am not yet retired but hope be in the next year or so. I have been interested in wood working for as long as I can remember. No one else in my family is or was a woodworker, so I don't know where my interest came from.

In 1984, my ex-wife bought me a Shopsmith package to make repairs around the house and it came with a basic set of turning tools. Over the years, I have turned a few rolling pins, paper towel holders, etc. Never got into turning very much, but I also turned parts for repairing broken furniture. The last couple of years, I have picked up an interest in turning pens, pepper mills, and such. I also obtained from my neighbor (who is leaving California) a small mini metal lathe. My current wife bought me a Rikon midi lathe. I still have the original Shopsmith tools and have been acquiring other tools. I have a set of carbide tools, Nova chuck, pen mandrel. I'm trying to accumulate most of what I need in anticipation of retirement. I have basically all I need to start pen turning except for finishing supplies. I have yet to turn my first pen but have a few basic kits and some blanks (both wood and some acrylic).

I have watched just about all the videos on Youtube, but am looking forward to this forum for help and education. Maybe I can even contribute a little bit.

Happy turning,

Papa Joe
Welcome from Long Beach CA!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Welcome from Texas, Joe, and thanks for your service. I'm PaPa also. šŸ˜‹

I'll be 78 at the end of the month & I still work 3 days a week. I love what I do & I work for a great small company, but I do enjoy my 4-day weekends.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Joe. Lots of great information here. One bit of help for the long run. As you learn a method that delivers a good pen or finish, always be willing to give another method or finish or tools a try. Learning with Multiple tools, finishes, methods greatly improves the outcome depending upon the individual need at the moment.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome back to the active IAP community. I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work. Remember there are forums in here for "Show Off Your Small Turnings" and "Other Things We Make" for some of those non-pen things. Glad you are here - Dave

ccccchunt

Welcome Papa Joe!! Did 22 years in the Navy myself. Both Gulf Wars punching holes in a submarine. You will find a TON of knowlegeable people on here that are both friendly and willing to help. Welcome again!

BULLWINKLE

Happy turning,

Papa Joe
Welcome. It sounds like you are have a good start with the equipment you acquired.

Top Bottom