Old Dog trying to learn new tricks(it's hard)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Up until a few weeks ago I thought EXOTIC wood was anything other than a #2 pine 2x4.Now that I are a pen maker I understand that any wood that comes across the border and cost more than my 1st house is EXOTIC! Well I am now the proud owner of 2 pieces of EXOTIC one a 8"x24" piece of 3/4 Zebrawood and a 6"x24" piece of Bloodwood since they cost my whole 'stimulus' package for this year,I need some expert advice on how to best cut them to get the best look.I know rips will give me the most blanks,but will that be the best looking blanks? Pore and confuzed as usual.Thanks for any help.:biggrin: pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Always cut for the best figure. Better to have two or three great blanks than a dozen plain ones. Try cutting the zebra wood at a bias and across the grain as well as with the grain. You get three completely different looking blanks from one type of wood. Layout your blanks, in pencil, on your board and see what gives you the best looking blanks with the least waste. Try to keep sapwood in a blank as that will give you a fourth type of blank. Never throw out an end cut or trim off piece of wood.

Now when you really get the fever you look at a pile of firewood as a gold mine. I go to a saw mill and pickup wood that they save for me. You know those rotted crotch grain areas of red oak, cherry and walnut. Or a spalted maple tree that they cut up in thick planks for bowls. Paid real money for that and still ended up with spalted bowl blanks that cost me less than a dollar each. Bring them a few dozen dounuts or drop off a few pens for them as gifts. You would be amazed what they come across and chip up if no one wants it. Some mills sell their "waste" for fire wood. Funny that they think $20-40.00 a pickup load is a good deal and we see several thousand nice pen blanks.

papNal

Yeah,I know what you mean about the firewood.I've picked up a couple loads of spalded oak slabs at a sawmill.Every time I go into the woods I come out dragging old dead limbs.Today checked out a couple plum trees I cut down and dragged off about 4 years ago,they were about rotted away, but did get a few reddish orange blanks that will look good after a few days in the dehydrator.I've been making up sample pieces of different dead wood that I come across,mainly on my property I'm up to 18 samples just finishing with BLO & ca.Some of the wood really looks good.Been doing this while waiting for some kit orders to come in.Thanks, pap

bitshird

Pap, The zebrawood gets a little scary cutting it cross grain, but if you take it real easy especially near the ends while your turning it looks great, Bias cut is a little easier to turn with out the ends chipping off, Most of the Bloodwood I've gotten doesn't have a lot of grain to it I suppose there might be some difference cross the grain just not sure.

VisExp

Pap, zebrawood looks really nice crosscut. You need to take more care while turning it, but it is worth the effort.

1_ACT_679106.jpg

Tim'sTurnings

papNal,

What do you mean when you say you dry the blanks and they are "good after a few days in the dehydrator." What kind of dehydrator are you using for blanks? I have one I use for veggies. That can't be it, can it?
Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi papNal; In no way am I attempting to outdo Keith with this picture post. I just want to give you another idea when you X-cut the Zebrawood.

attachment.jpg

After I finished turning, I used a yellow aniline dye to bring out the contrast between the dark and light grains of the Zebrawood. A little sanding after the dyeing brings out the chatoyance in the wood.

Attachments

• 271 (Small).jpg
    271 (Small).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 481

papNal

The dryer is one I use to dry fruit,veggies etc. It has about ten removable shelves,I just use 3or4.I set it on about 90deg. and let er go,so far its done good on wood blanks that was needing some final drying.So far no cracks,but I do let them set out in the shop to 'climatize' before using. pap

dale

Ok I understand the cross cutting ive done it and was well pleased.
But X-Cut never heard of it so a dumb Missouri boy would like to know what that is.
Sorry didnt mean to steal your post.
dale

dankc908

I have a 3/4" x 5" piece of clear acrylic that I use to check out the wood grain for an interesting looking pen. I just lay the acrylic on the board and I can see how different angles will work with the same board.

VisExp

After I finished turning, I used a yellow aniline dye to bring out the contrast between the dark and light grains of the Zebrawood.

Mack, that's a great idea to use the dye to increase the contrast.

The cross cut zebrawood does have some amazing chatoyance, doesn't it?

Wolfcoast

It's not too bad cutting the zebrawood as a crosscut. But when you go to turn it be REALLY careful. Crosscut blanks can chunk out on you in a heartbeat if you get too aggressive. Just take them a little slower and make sure your tools are sharp.

I've gotten to play with zebrawood a lot. Friend of mine, before I left CT, was a cabinet maker and gave me a trunk full of cutoffs for a carton of cigarettes hehe.

Top Bottom