Old Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Cleaning up the server a bit and I stumbled upon an old contest. We've added thousands of members since this contest ran, so I thought I'd dredge it up for another look and maybe some inspiration.

In 2004 we collaborated on a contest with Woodturning Design Magazine. Here are links to the entries and the winners.

All Entries

Winners

Please excuse the broken links on those pages. It's old stuff and some forum structure has changed...

Enjoy!

witz1976

That is very interesting to see what made a winning pen back in '04. I noticed most of the entries featured a lot of bead and cove work. Very few had any real modifications to the pen design itself. Perhaps it was written in the rules or back then everyone was simple turning regular kits. I would love to see a contest now and compare the winners to see how fast pen turning has evolved.

Thanks for sharing this Jeff.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Cleaning up the server a bit and I stumbled upon an old contest. We've added thousands of members since this contest ran, so I thought I'd dredge it up for another look and maybe some inspiration.

In 2004 we collaborated on a contest with Woodturning Design Magazine. Here are links to the entries and the winners.

All Entries

Winners

Please excuse the broken links on those pages. It's old stuff and some forum structure has changed...

Enjoy!

So who is gonna step up and organize the new version of this? I would but I am currently involved in running the 2011 Spring PITH. Darn. :wink::biggrin: Come on, I know someone wants to.:tongue:

Landon

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
That is very interesting to see what made a winning pen back in '04. I noticed most of the entries featured a lot of bead and cove work. Very few had any real modifications to the pen design itself. Perhaps it was written in the rules or back then everyone was simple turning regular kits. I would love to see a contest now and compare the winners to see how fast pen turning has evolved.

Thanks for sharing this Jeff.

Dan, I was thinking the same thing. A present-day version of this contest would be very different. Just look at the Bash contests of the past few years.

I'd be in favor this fall of doing another collaboration with the magazine, and putting a pretty significant pool of prizes together.

The evolution of pen making has been driven in large part by the "collective creativity" of our IAP community. By that I mean one idea leads to another, and so on until a particular concept or design looks nothing like the original. Vendors step up too, by providing unique tooling, wacky materials, kits that lend themselves to customization, and various bits of hardware that put things over the top.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting we should have another contest like that, but if enough people are in favor, we can certainly start thinking about it.

witz1976

Jeff - do you think Woodturning Design Mag. would be interested in co-sponsoring and publishing the event like they did 7 years ago?

I would be game for it...as I am sure plenty of other folks would be too. We seem to like contests around here:rolleyes::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Excuse the funky characters in there. .

LOL, of course I knew what you meant about 'funky characters' but there were certainly some great 'characters' around then too. Lou, Scott, YoYoSpin, Bev, Eagle and a few other cool dudes.

Reading a few threads from that era, it seemed to me that this contest was born from a quick discussion between Ed Davidson ( YoYoSpin ) and Scott .
One of the contestants, Bev Polmanteer, still holds the Longest Thread record ( I think:confused: ) with her 'What do you look like?' thread.

Last edited:

Scott

I think Woodturning Design magazine would probably jump in on this.

Scott.

PS: I'm still a funky character! ;-)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It's a great idea, but watch timing==if possible, bear in mind that the best shows run in the pre-Christmas days.

Maybe think about restructuring the bash. We have the Russ Fairfield contest--could we add the Woodturning Design contest? Maybe every TWO years (this will be the 8th Bash, the 10th should be a grand gala!)

bitshird

Unreal that Mark Gisi only took a second place in the intermediate division, things have come a long way in 7 years. and I think Ed would do a great job ramrodding this contest, Thanks for volunteering Ed.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF I can find enough people to do prizes, so all I have to do is "fix problems", I would LOVE to run a contest for a change!!

So, who wants to volunteer to be "Prize sub-chairmen"?? Just administer, say 25 prizes each!!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'll only need five volunteers, don't everybody jump in at once!!

Since I have had ONE PM, I should clarify---this is based on the possibility of organizing this contest as part of the BASH.

DocStram

Jeff . . . I only recognize a few of the names as being IAP members. Of course, it was about a year before my time with IAP. Do you remember any of their IAP usernames?

IPD_Mr

One of the contestants, Bev Polmanteer, still holds the Longest Thread record ( I think:confused: ) with her 'What do you look like?' thread.

I took the time to go through all 61 pages as it has been a while since I had visited the thread. It is rather sad to me that some of the wonderful people that graced our lives is no longer of this world.

Lou's before and after is still disturbing.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lou's before and after is still disturbing.

Having actually met Lou, I still can't tell the differance:confused::biggrin:

It really would be nice to see all the Great Original bunch here. But I must admit that my day has been made by JP's return. ...Lou's 'Big Brother' apparently:biggrin:

Scott

So, I dropped a note on Joe Herrman, the editor at Woodturning Design Magazine, and he said they would be willing to do something like this again if somebody here would organize it.

I think this would make a good contest to offset the Bash, in other words, run it in August and September. Yes, some people's summer plans would get in the way, and for some the push to produce inventory for the before-Christmas shows might get in the way. But I think the Bash is already a full-plate in a lot of ways. There are plenty of contests, so one more contest would just sort of blend in. Vendors are already pretty extended donating prizes and may not be willing to give more, better prizes to support this extra contest. And people are already busy making ugly pens for my favorite contest, which may distract from making a nice pen for this WDM (Woodturning Design Magazine) contest. This kind of contest in August and September would give everyone a good major event to enjoy as part of their IAP membership at some time during the year other than the Bash. Just my thoughts on this.

I'm not against running it as part of the Bash though. It would be a major event that would bring in even more people to our IAP site. That much extra time would allow Joe to put a notice of the contest in the magazine, while running it in Aug and Sept likely wouldn't give him time to put it in print. If we're willing to accept that the vendors would want to donate prizes for this event, and not so much for the other lesser publicized events, and that we would have to come up with prizes elsewhere for the other Bash contests, then that would be fine.

What does everybody think?

Scott.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF your going to do it in September of this year you will probably have to commit right now. He may have enough lead time to start advertising it. Youask him and see if September is even Possible. I like the offset contest, that would make a major contest about every 6 months. Thats about the right amount of time I need to be able to come up with a design.
Add a couple of piths and we could have a major activity every Quarter. If you were not able to participate in one you wouldnt have to wait a year to get involved. I would say ask and see. Im sure that we can support this on an annual or biannual level. IT would add to Mike Brobergs work load as activities manager. Hmm not a bad thing.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
So, I dropped a note on Joe Herrman, the editor at Woodturning Design Magazine, and he said they would be willing to do something like this again if somebody here would organize it.

I think this would make a good contest to offset the Bash, in other words, run it in August and September. Yes, some people's summer plans would get in the way, and for some the push to produce inventory for the before-Christmas shows might get in the way. But I think the Bash is already a full-plate in a lot of ways. There are plenty of contests, so one more contest would just sort of blend in. Vendors are already pretty extended donating prizes and may not be willing to give more, better prizes to support this extra contest. And people are already busy making ugly pens for my favorite contest, which may distract from making a nice pen for this WDM (Woodturning Design Magazine) contest. This kind of contest in August and September would give everyone a good major event to enjoy as part of their IAP membership at some time during the year other than the Bash. Just my thoughts on this.

I'm not against running it as part of the Bash though. It would be a major event that would bring in even more people to our IAP site. That much extra time would allow Joe to put a notice of the contest in the magazine, while running it in Aug and Sept likely wouldn't give him time to put it in print. If we're willing to accept that the vendors would want to donate prizes for this event, and not so much for the other lesser publicized events, and that we would have to come up with prizes elsewhere for the other Bash contests, then that would be fine.

What does everybody think?

Scott.
What better prize is there than to be recognized by the magazine and IAP and get publicity. The vendors have been great to us, but why push them. My vote would be for a picture of the winner's pens in the magazine. If a vendor wants publicity and thinks of it as good advertizing, I wouldn't stop them from offering but why even ask?

DurocShark

I agree with fall timing.

Those getting ready for Christmas shows may see it as an opportunity to make a show piece for their displays.

I think the summer/fall is a good idea because some of us don't have heated shops and it would be more comfortable if it wasn't in the winter. I do like the 4 events a year idea.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, Ka - ching!!! the penny has just dropped:biggrin:

You guys call it 'Fall' because you can't spell 'Autumn'

Top Bottom