Okay here we go

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
so the vacuum bag did not hold a vacuum very long. I'm going to give the pickle jar idea a try since I have one handy. can someone list the simplifyed parts list to make one.

I also wondered if there was a way to get the vacuum by hand pump or would you not b able to get enough of a vacuum?

Thanks
Jesse

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

All due respect, there may be many others out there wondering what the heck is the rest of the story? I myself do not know. what are you trying to vacuum?

Sorry about that. Yeah i'm going to try my hand at stabilizing. I tried the vacuum bags to get the vacuum to hold but no go. So now I am onto the pickle jar trick. After reading some of the posts by curtis and lbd i do not want to combined my pressure pot with a vacuum pot. Less fittings equal less leaks.

I think the building of the vacuum is pretty much the same way you would build curtis's pressure pot. (as seen in the reb's pot post). The big thing I was wondering about is the gauge hook up.

On the pot you have two ports. One for the gauge and one for pressure. On the pickle jar you only have the one port right on top. I'm guessing using all would be just fixed in a straight line. Lid, gauge, mini ball valve, 1/4" air hose fitting.

Hope this clears up my thought. Sorry seamus for the first post I was typing thoughts before reading.

KenV

Jesse -- if you are trying to pull a vacuum with solvents in the container, you need a lot of vacuum to account for boiling of the solvents.

Most assume that pulling a vacuum pulls the air out of the wood -- it does a bit of that after the volitile solvents are boiled off as the vapor pressure drops.

The commercial processes alternate between vacuum and pressure (and use high pressures). Wood treatment processes use pressure to drive the treatment into the wood and then use vacuum to pull as much if the excess back out (so it does not drip into the streams).

So you will be hand pumping for a long time to boil off the solvents --

Get a pump that is pretty tolerant of solvents if you can

jfoh

Where are you located in Ohio? I have an entire setup, pressure pot, vac. pump etc... which you could borrow if you are near where I live. It would be a pain in the ....... to ship. The use of it would give you both a vac and a pressure option. Drop me an email if iinterested, jfoh5914@aol.com

I have used the Ultraseal product with very good results. Does anyone know if that product is still available. their web site seems very dated.

Top Bottom