OK...Time to play guess the wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davdee70

I would love to know what it is anyone have a guess?? I should add the the wood is very dense and heavy. it is reddish brown in color with very thin white streaking. I ran it through the planer yesterday so the apperance of the color is as close to natural as i can get it. Not really sure what it is. Thanks everyone for your comments

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I think it is Paduk. (spelling may be off). Sand a little, if it makes the sandpaper look like you have been sanding cheetos, then you have a winner. BTW if left in the elements it can darken from it's usual orange hue.

bradh

I am changing my mind, I think it is Partridgewood. There is a way to tell, Partridgewood is very, very hard, almost like African Blackwood; Balsa will be very soft and light.
Here is a finished pen with the wood, notice the lighter coloured specs that are also present in the picture above.

Attachments

• 182-mb+sn-pheas-h.jpg
    182-mb+sn-pheas-h.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 106

bradh

Interesting! I read the hobbithouse page completely and he shows the difference between Partridgewood and Wenge!
The US gov site did list the wood under a generic species name so Wenge maybe a very similar species of wood.
I have learned a lot about this wood, which is great since my local wood mill usually has Partridgewood blanks available cheap.

Top Bottom