offset Elm bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
thank you for all of your kind comments

Tellicoturning:there are more pics on my facebook page if you use FB, (search for: fromthetree) they are only camera phone pics but do show it on the lathe, unfortunatley i cant post them here as after i posted them on FB i deleted them off my phone to make room for more.

thanks Chris, it will take more than these two little winged pieces to lift my 325kg (700lb) lathe. I did do two bigger pieces using wet beech before i made these two, i'll post some pic's once there dry.

And the photography is as good as the work! Excellent lighting.

Curious as to the material. I've been turning some elm lately but it's "Chinese elm" - not the North American domestic type that was killed off in the 20th century here in the US. What you show in your work is what I would call gorgeous. Is the appearance typical for elm in the UK?

Thank you for all of your kind comments and "likes"

Ted: thank you for commenting on my photography i am working hard to improve it.

I would say that these examples aren't typical of English elm.

I bought this particular board of elm a few years ago from a local timberyard, I don't normally buy boards but this one had an unusual pattern that would have been under the bark, it looks like bubbling. A few weeks ago I was at my tree surgeons yard and spotted the same pattern on an ash trunk, I have already bought that trunk even though it's at the bottom of a very big stack of logs!!

you can see the unusual figure on this pencil pot

Last edited:
Top Bottom