odor of finished stabilized blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I made a pen out of stabilized burl, several actually. One I didn't want polished to a high shine and left dull for the look.
The pen is about a month old and it is finally starting to not stink.
I use CA on the other stabilized blanks I do and it must lock in the smell of the resin used to stabilize the wood.
My question is, do you all use a topcoat of some kind on stabilized wood and if so what do you use.
I am ok with the finish of CA but the acrid odor when applying it ain't nice.
I also like the look of the friction polish I use, Doctor wood or something like that, but have not used in on stabilized wood. Do you think a friction polish will adhere to the resin in the stabilized wood like a CA would or do you think I will have a problem down the road.
Curt

KenV

The process used to "stabalize" is to add plastic resins to the wood. There are several different processes (some trade secrets) use. Depending on the resin and process, I have encountered some odors on turning, but they have gone away pretty fast.

Persistant odor suggests that the resins have not completed reactions and VOCs are still coming off.

Depending on the wood and process, some of these blanks have a total resin surface, and others have a mix of dense wood and resin. I find that putting a surface finish on is a good practice, though some of these blanks will polish up like an acrylic.

I suggest you check with your source on the VOC outgassing from the blanks.

I understand the allure of friction polishes. I sometimes use them on items that will not get a lot of handling, or items that are not going to maintain a finish (like a garden dibble).

If you have not browsed Russ Fairfield's site I suggest you read this material

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FinishingSecrets.html

Afterwards, you might want to follow one of the alternative paths that Russ pointed out and most of us have used. Those paths will lead you to find a better surface film than a friction polish.

Russ passed from us this last winter -- but his web site continues to provide solid info to woodturners.

Your question about friction polish sticking -- most contain some shellac which has long been used as an sealer. Shellac has ability to stick to lots of materials well and likely work if you have not over polished the surface. The waxes in the friction polish may not allow you to be successful in adding another top coat over the friction polish.

The variant is that the information you have provided does not tell us the source of the blanks or process used to treat them. Best you can get with those unknowns is a "likely".

CREID

The blanks come from Rockler. They are the stabilized burls. They don't smell until they are turned, I don't know if this is from the outside being drier or cured (not sure, does the stabilization process use driers or catalysts) but if you put the pen in your shirt pocket, after a while you go, what is that smell, and finally you realize that it is the solvents coming off of the pen blank.

Top Bottom