OB Shine Juice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobostro61

I'm sure many of you have seen Captain Eddy's OB Shine Juice. The recipe I believe calls for 1/3 denatured Alcohol, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, and 1/3 Shellac. If I was to use flake shellac instead of the liquid, how much of the flake would be needed for 2 oz. denatured, 2 oz. boiled linseed? If I remember, the flake can be dissolved in the denatured alcohol.

Thanks,

jttheclockman

I'm sure many of you have seen Captain Eddy's OB Shine Juice. The recipe I believe calls for 1/3 denatured Alcohol, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, and 1/3 Shellac. If I was to use flake shellac instead of the liquid, how much of the flake would be needed for 2 oz. denatured, 2 oz. boiled linseed? If I remember, the flake can be dissolved in the denatured alcohol.

Thanks,

Jeff Jewitt one of the best

Mixing Shellac - Fine Woodworking Article

Jgrden

Hmmmmm, I am looking for a finish to antler or wood that gives a nice shine. This is new. Would you apply it the same way as BLO and Cyanoacrylic? Getting tired of the BLO/
superglue application. Need a glossy shine with depth.

KenV

Bob

Conventional shellac is a 2 pound cut. That means two pounds of shellac flakes mixed in a gallon of high purity alcohol. I usually dilute to a 1 pound cut by mixing equal parts of 2 pound cut with a high purity alcohol.

You can do the math for smaller quantities, but a pint of alcohol is about the smallest quantity practical.

High purity alcohol does not come from a big box store. Some sold there is up to 35 percent water. Head to a paint store, ask about water content and expect to pay more. The serious shellac mixers use everclear from the liquor store.

Water and shellac do not play well together.

Top Bottom