NWS Tools Any Opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I received a Lee Valley catalog which included the sale of NWS (tools). They look nice...do you think they are worth the premium in price? I am sure it's a matter of what I will be using these tools for, but thought I would hear what others have to say about them.

Thank you for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I haven't tried them but if I needed one I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. The reason being, Lee Valley's return policy. You have 3 months to decide if you like the tool (nice if you don't use it for a month or two after buying) and if you don't like it, they take it back and return your money back or give you store credit and return your postage too. I took a couple defective tools back to one of the local stores a few months ago and the LV employee didn't want any explanations from me. He politely said it didn't matter. The NWS tools look like they are tools to buy to use for a lifetime and beyond so likely worth the money.

TonyL

They look very well built. Amazon is pretty much sold out. Good info about lee valley. I wonder if their generous return polucy is recoup ed in the price.

Curly

I wonder if their generous return polucy is recoup ed in the price.

Of the many hundreds of tools I have bought from them since the late 70's I can only recall 4 things that I have had to return. Loyal customers don't abuse return policies, so I think that is a very small portion of the cost of business for them. It is likely the same for the vendors selling here that stand behind their goods. The loyalty means many future purchases and more business form word of mouth. LV isn't a HF type company selling the cheapest tools on the market. Buying a tool once and have it last for decades is worth the premium for me. We all have different circumstances and experiances that influence our purchases.

Rockytime

I received a Lee Valley catalog which included the sale of NWS (tools). They look nice...do you think they are worth the premium in price? I am sure it's a matter of what I will be using these tools for, but thought I would hear what others have to say about them.

Thank you for reading.

I have not seen the Lee Valley catalog but I would like to know what kind of tools NWS has that a pen turner can use. If I'm correct NWS stands for Northwest Shortline Supply. They were making tools for the model railroad hobby. At one time they used to refer modelers to me to repair or make locomotive gears that they did not do. The jobs were onesies and twosies. Sure like to know what they are making now.

TonyL

Thanks for your replies. According to the Lee Valley catalog, NWS is the name of a German firm: Northern Werkzeuge Solingen. I don't know what the English translation is.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
They look very well built. Amazon is pretty much sold out. Good info about lee valley. I wonder if their generous return polucy is recoup ed in the price.
Economics 101 Tony, in order to make a profit the seller must include all costs of doing business in the price.

That being said I would think the return policy reflects the idea that they won't get many returns because they are selling a well made product. It is also possible that they have some arrangement with the manufacturer regarding returns.

I have a lot of Craftsman tools because if they ever brake you take them back and you get a replacement...no questions asked. This Lee Valley policy sounds like that. They are on my go to list for tools.

I say that as one who has an unconditional return policy myself and I look at it as almost like an advertising or promotion cost. It probably brings in more business than it costs to do it.

Last edited:

TonyL

No arguments here :). I just called them, about their Imperial drill bit collection. They are closed for the Canadian holiday. Have a great one!

Top Bottom