November?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Well, 3 months from our last meeting is early November. Are people up for a gathering? More than likely it will be either early Nov or Mid Jan.

Anyone want to take lead?

GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darcisowers

another vote for either, with a request that it not be the second half on Nov, as we'll be out of town for an extended thanksgiving trip. :biggrin:

ldubia

I am good for a November meeting. I have a gallery setup to do on the 6th (possibly showing that evening) but good after that.

What is the topic going to cover this time? Greg was saying some time ago we could all camp out at his place for four days and get a tutorial on turning the "butt-ugly bush root." :eek::beat-up::biggrin: I have more, Greg. :biggrin::biggrin:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That is the question, Larry. Anyone have anything that they would want to see?

And where? We have lots of Fresno/Clovis folks now. Is it time for a "down south" gathering? Anyone have the room? (My place is open to house the gathering as a fall back)

ldubia

I enjoyed doing the ornaments last time but did anyone get to see the hollow ornaments? That could be a topic. Or maybe hollowing a vessel. How about advanced pen making? Or casting a pen blank? Any tutorials anyone wants to share?

Does anyone have any ideas to throw out for topics?

Is anyone interested in coming to the showing of my things in Felton possibly on the 6th of November in the evening? I don't have the details yet but hope to find out soon.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
There is always lots to be learned. We never stop. The tough part is when the forgettin' starts outpacing the learnin'.

I can show what I know but I'm just a rank beginner myself. I've only done 8 myself and none of them turned out exactly as I had hoped. Anyone else a bowl turner?

For those in the area/who don't mind driving the Bay Area Woodturners Association is having their monthly meeting tomorrow at the Castro Valley High School starting at 9am. Mike Mahoney (a turner of some repute) will be presenting.
http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY2OnZmeZOA

atsowers

if people don't mind coming to San Jose, we could hold it here again. :confused: (I think we had around a dozen here last time. We could probably go up to about 20 before we start getting maxed out.)

plus, we don't have a houseful of puppies this time, so we'd have more room indoors. Which is either a postive or a negative, depending on how much you like puppies!! :)

The downside to having it here is that our demo/garage space is nearly non-existant, due to a flatwork project we've been working on for the past several months!! We could setup demos in the backyard, weather permitting, of course.

Oh, and we only have mini lathes, so no bowl demos here, unless Greg brings his big mustard monster. kidding. sort of. We'd clear out room for it to come visit or if someone wants to donate one, we'll DEFINITELY make space!!! :biggrin:

I'll put a date to aim for on the calendar - how's Nov 13th or 14th for folks?
  • hollow ornaments sound like a great topic, since we didn't get to those last time.
  • another PEN idea could also be interesting - but I don't have any suggestions.
  • A casting demo sounds kinda cool....but too bad we don't know anyone that does any casting... Jay - do you know anyone? :cool:
Does this sound like a plan? (of course, if anyone else is just itching to hold it, we won't stop you!!!!)

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I've made 8 bowls. Only 2 were turned on the Mustard. And only the manzanita monster was too big to turn on my jet mini. We could definitely do bowls on a mini lathe. But I'm not sure how exciting that would be to watch...

The 14th would be good for me. 13th is next months BAWA meeting. Weekend of the 6th I'm probably busy.

GK

ldubia

The weekend of the 6th is out for me due to the showing I am doing. The 14th is a good day for me.

Darci could talk about her round herringbone so we understand how she came up with the pattern. That is one cool pen.

The last two hollow ornaments I did were great until I sanded the outside and exposing the inside causing it to break.

I have been dong a few bowls and hollow forms but as Greg mentioned, it is not very exciting and I am new to it.

What are some other things people are interested in knowing about?

nava1uni

I am willing to come to San Jose, it wasn't any further then Greg's. I'll come to almost anywhere in Northern or Central CA. I am open to learning anything.

darcisowers

Andy is this household's herringbone and herringblock (andy's spinoff of the 360HB) master. I take NONE of the credit - I can barely figure it out myself, even after he shows me what to do!

he did come up with a different method of turning it, so that there were fewer blowouts.... although it did take MANY blowouts before he got wise... I can't remember what he did. :confused:

I'll put in my vote for here on the 14th. :tongue:

Hey Cindy - I agree with you - I'll go almost anywhere. It's not so much WHAT we are learning - it's just fun to get together with ya'll and see what everyone has been up to. And learning something new is a bonus!!

The 14th is great for me also. I wouldn't mind trying to have a meeting in Clovis, but not until March or so. Still trying to organinze space.

Hollowing and bowl making are two topics I would like to see, but would enjoy anything since I have so much to learn. It's nice just seeing people and relaxing for a change.

Ken

Dave_M

Hey Greg,
I was thinking the same thing but I have way too much going on between here and the New Year. I thought about hosting in spring next year. I have a lot of space. Three car drive thru garage and large outdoor covered work area. I just have to go back and fourth between motorcycle shop and woodworking shop. Right now it's a little bit of both.

Surprisingly I just received a lot of request for pens & stoppers so I'm busy creating lots of wood debri in the garage. This is my first hobby that hasn't been a money pit.

That is the question, Larry. Anyone have anything that they would want to see?

And where? We have lots of Fresno/Clovis folks now. Is it time for a "down south" gathering? Anyone have the room? (My place is open to house the gathering as a fall back)

ldubia

Greg,
You have been to my house. Do you think there is enough room here to hold a meeting? I am going to talk to LOML and see if she is working the night before. If she is, then it is out. She would be sleeping all day and I don't want to disturb here sleep. Will let the group know soon.

Of course that means the entire group will get some nice clean mountain air and great views on the way here.

Also, I just picked up a pickup load of manzanita burl. Some are large, others less so. So I have lots to share at low LOW prices. Even midi lathe sized and pen blank sized (providing you have a bandsaw to cut it down). And of course always more redwood.

ldubia

Ok, I have spoken to LOML and we are good to host the meeting in Boulder Creek.
What is the plan for the meeting? What will be needed? What do we want to do? Any tutorials anyone wants to bring? If there is anything I will need for the meeting to prepare for someones presentation or whatever, please let me know so I can try to have it ready for you. I have one midi lathe available for demoing if needed.

ldubia

food will be a pot luck affair. Please let me know what you would like to bring.

My wife is going to man (woman???) our charcoal BBQ for chicken and polish sausage.

meat...if you want something other than chicken or polish sausage.
drinks...
salad...
vegetables...
side dishes...
desert...
snacks...
dips...

I will need chairs for people to sit on, a couple of tables to put stuff on, an easy up to put over the picnic table to cover the food area.

More information to follow.

ldubia

Hi all,
I now have two supporters donating door prizes for our meeting. I am working on others but we shall see.

You will like the prizes which I am keeping a secret till you get them.

Does anyone have a hollowing rig yet? Have you seen them in use?

ldubia

I was thinking it might be fun to demo the thing on a small HF. Not sure yet.

Bowls are on the list of possibilities. We need more possibilities though. I am working on another one as I type this out. Thoughts are racing through my head...Yellow flag! Two thoughts have collided!

Last edited:

angboy

Larry where exactly do you live? (You don't have to post an addy here but what town are we talking about?) Thanks so much for offering to host!

ldubia

Larry where exactly do you live? (You don't have to post an addy here but what town are we talking about?) Thanks so much for offering to host!

I live in Boulder Creek. It is 16 miles east of Santa Cruz between Santa Cruz and Los Gatos. It is in the mountains. Fresh air, trees, views, etc. :biggrin:

nava1uni

I could bring my lathe is another is needed. I just picked up a Jet 1014 VS off of Craigs list for $250. It is brand new. I can bring chairs and I will bring dessert or snacks. Let me know which one.
This should be fun.

ldubia

Please place all replies for the November meeting under the "November meeting" thread so we (alright, me) don't get too confused.
Thanks everyone for getting back to me on this.

Top Bottom